Shop recomendations for fz1 work..

oldschoolsdime92

It seems I am going to need to get some fairly major work done on the fz1. The 2001 and 2002 models have a second gear issue, in some situations. The shift fork bends and the dogs wear out and so forth leading the bike to kick at higher rpms and eventually false nuetral and go out all together. Does anyone have any suggestions on a shop ? Thanks guys.

I would have recommended Joe's as they're fairly local and primarily Yamaha based, but they put it to me years ago so I've quit them :D However, you're welcome to give them a shot if you are feeling lucky? :dunno: Other than that, there's none I can honestly vouch for that could do it in a timely manner AND warrant the repairs -- did you happen to call Hidy Powersports to see if they were willing? Just figuring since its local and heard they work on about anything.

It maybe a bit far for you, but I've heard some good things about Clinton County Motorsport in Wilmington. As i'm sure you are aware; its not the parts that's going to get you, its the labor.

If you're a gambling man, you could try ebay. I did a quick search, and for right around $800 you can get an engine shipped to your house that comes with a 30 day warranty. could be an option. A buddy went this route for his '94 suzuki rf600 and it worked out very well.

I've talked with 35, pauly,and a few stealerships, and I've decided to take the job on myself. One particular dealer quoted 1890 labor alone, and I just can't justify that. So I got the yamaha service manual and decided I can do it. Anyone ever done one, or have any advice?

I've talked with 35, pauly,and a few stealerships, and I've decided to take the job on myself. One particular dealer quoted 1890 labor alone, and I just can't justify that. So I got the yamaha service manual and decided I can do it. Anyone ever done one, or have any advice?

I did the output shaft in my 06 1k....pretty simple doing stuff in the bottom end! Only issue i had was when it broke it shot metal all over my engine and it was a bitch to get it out! Good luck!

I think your mechanically inclined enough to do it yourself. Read the manual a few times to get a grasp on the project. Than tell yourself is just nuts and bolts. Thats what i did when i had zero experience with my boats outdrive.