anyone use electric heat in their garage?

oldschoolsdime92

Here's my question, how big is your garage? Because I have a 2 car attached, insulated but not finished, self insulated door too(not the aluminum 800.00 ones, but DIY style) and use a 80.00 one from home depot I just got. It has a thermostat, keeps it at 55 when I'm not out there, and doesn't work hard at all.

IF I had 220 I would get something like my dad has, http://www.shophmac.com/dimplex-dgwh4031.html . But the one he has is WAY nicer than these huge box things, its slim, quiet as crap and heats his 6 car attached no issues. And I mean heat, my parents are old and it's like 72 out there all winter. Snow melts in 10 minutes.

I do plan to put one in like what I just posted from my neighbor but for right not, what I have is ideal. Interested to see what the electric bill is, I budget so no increase yet.

Here's my question, how big is your garage? Because I have a 2 car attached, insulated but not finished, self insulated door too(not the aluminum 800.00 ones, but DIY style) and use a 80.00 one from home depot I just got. It has a thermostat, keeps it at 55 when I'm not out there, and doesn't work hard at all.

IF I had 220 I would get something like my dad has, http://www.shophmac.com/dimplex-dgwh4031.html . But the one he has is WAY nicer than these huge box things, its slim, quiet as crap and heats his 6 car attached no issues. And I mean heat, my parents are old and it's like 72 out there all winter. Snow melts in 10 minutes.

I do plan to put one in like what I just posted from my neighbor but for right not, what I have is ideal. Interested to see what the electric bill is, I budget so no increase yet.

Do you have a link for your home depot heater?

I'm going with a ventless natural gas heater similar to the one Hoblick used in his garage. Under $200 and they will heat the garage up quick.

i

That's what I have, except propane. I got mine on sale for like:D $100 at tractor supply. Last year it didn't heat the garage very fast, but I didn't have any insulation in the attic. This year. With 18" of insulation garage goes frm 20 degree to very comfortable in 20 minutes.

Do you have a link for your home depot heater?

For reference the heater in the first pic for 220 is available at Menards for I believe 169ish, and install is realatively simply, I looked into it, but costs of 220 to run was like 100 more bucks. I just wrote a review last night for the little heater and honestly, I really think for the price it's way cheaper/easier.

I had the option to get a ventless and tie into my natural gas, but chose not to because I keep my bike against the back wall and didnt have anywhere else to mount it on the wall that would hit the line.

The one I have is the Lasko Cyclonic Ceramic Heater with Remote Control; http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Portable-Heaters-Humidifiers-Portable-Heaters/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbve7/R-100669056/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

My question is what is the intended purpose for heating the garage? There's a difference between just wanting to have it decently warm around the clock (50ish) or do you intend to work out there all day?

If I were a mechanic and going to be in the garage all day then one of the 220 volt electric heaters would be a good idea. If you just want it warmer relative to the outside temp then I'd go with something like an Edenpure electric heater and maybe one of the propane tank top heaters for when you are going to be out there.

That's how I am currently keeping my garage heated in winter. A big electric heater is going to make you cringe when the bill comes.