My '04 Triumph Rebuild

JStump

I was planning on painting my bike white sometime anyway, and last night just got me motivated to do it. I also need to replace the brakes, tires, and fix the engine stumble under 4000 RPMs(think it may be a bad spark plug). So I figured I would start a small build page. Since I am doing so much work to this thing, I figure I may as well tear it completely apart and check and clean everything(well mostly everything). Here is my checklist of things to do...

• Replace spark plugs(Done)
  • Replace front brake pads(Done)
  • Change oil and filter(Done)
  • Replace fork seals and oil
  • Replace front and rear tires
  • Repair cracked rear plastic(Done)
  • Paint plastics white, everything else black(Done)
  • Replace ugly rear turn signals with LED flush mounts(Done)
  • Replace brake lights with LED(Done)
  • Polish headlights(Done)
  • Thoroughly clean engine and frame(Done)
  • Clean air filter(Done)
  • Check all fluids(Done)
  • Install silverstar ultra bulbs(Done)
  • Get TuneECU and cable
  • Break bike with TuneECU and cable
  • Google how to fix bike after breaking it with TuneECU and cable
  • Fix bike with TuneECU and cable
  • Reassemble
  • RIDE!!

And depending on how much money I have left after all this possibly some

• New levers
  • New mirrors
  • Miscellaneous pieces that are missing like a rear fender
  • Tinted windscreen(Done)

I hope to have this all done by end of March, mid April depending on how the weather is and if I can get outside to paint. Here is the start.

2873f0f6.jpg

c1a096dd.jpg

Edited by JStump

The engine stumble under 4000 is a trait of the Triumph engine from factory. Most likely not a bad spark plug. PCIII/ or some other type of tune, (never heard of the one youre looking at) will fix the issue. If you need any help hit me up I know the bike pretty well.

EBC brake pads FWIW

No, this is really bad. It sounds like a v twin, not a 4 cyl. Had the bike from june to october and it ran great, october/november it started to do this. It sounds almost as if it is misfiring but I get no codes which is why I think it is a plug. I checked the stator/rr but that checks out fine. Could also be a valve timing issue though if the plugs check out right?

The tuner I am looking at is freeware that you can download custom maps for, you just have to buy the OBDII cable for like $15.

Also, I do not know what FWIW stands for but I bought the EBC organic pads a couple days ago.

Edited by JStump

No, this is really bad. It sounds like a v twin, not a 4 cyl. Had the bike from june to october and it ran great, october/november it started to do this. It sounds almost as if it is misfiring but I get no codes which is why I think it is a plug. I checked the stator/rr but that checks out fine. Could also be a valve timing issue though if the plugs check out right?

The tuner I am looking at is freeware that you can download custom maps for, you just have to buy the OBDII cable for like $15.

Also, I do not know what FWIW stands for but I bought the EBC organic pads a couple days ago.

O I got ya on misfire. Might want to do plugs and wires. I've got almost 23000 miles On mine and never had issues like that.

TuneECU is pretty awesome once you figure it out.

Play with it a lot BEFORE you hook up your bike. Get comfortable with it all, what all the spreadsheets/numbers/ratios mean, etc. Its a fantastic built-in feature for Triumphs that more bikes should've come from the factory with.

This is what it sounds like, you can hear me rev it right at the end but my phone ran out of memory and cut the rest off. But you can hear it running rough when i rev it, it should sound more like an f1 car than a cruiser. But it needs to get up to about 3500-4000RPMs to start sounding right and it takes all the way up to 6000RPMs before all the power kicks in. I have to rev the nuts off it to get it to take off from a stop or else it will bog down and leave me with no power in the middle of the street.http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/JStumpalump150/?action=view&current=5a632183.mp4

Edited by JStump

I believe TuneECU only works with the triples not the Fours. I will look at my stuff when I get home though just to be sure.

Well then I think I would check the plugs, and wires. LOL! Maybe a clogged injector? Have you tried to run any fuel system cleaner through it?

Thats on the list of things Im gonna try. Im a big fan of sea foam but Im not sure my neighbors will be lol.

Piss on em pour it in and rev the snot out of it LOL! After I cleaned the shit out of my carbs on the DR-350 I ran a few tanks with cleaner in it to finish getting the last little bit of crap out of them. Or it could be something with your FI being off? I hate fuel/electric problems thats when I take it to a shop.

Piss on em pour it in and rev the snot out of it LOL! After I cleaned the shit out of my carbs on the DR-350 I ran a few tanks with cleaner in it to finish getting the last little bit of crap out of them. Or it could be something with your FI being off? I hate fuel/electric problems thats when I take it to a shop.

Yeah, not my favorite either. The MAF sensor and coil packs on my nissan made me want to pull my hair out. So hard to diagnose those kinds of issues.

Replaced plugs and pads today. The pads I am not sure I needed because the old ones were only half gone, but I have some EBC's now so it was an upgrade. The plugs on the other hand solved my engine tumble problem which just saved me probably $400 so I am pretty happy about that!

31f6adbd.jpg

May even have more than half on them.

4866e1ab.jpg

But while I was under the tank I found this plug that didn't have anything plugged into it. Anyone know what it is? It looked very similar to the plug that was plugged into the bottom of the air box.

9c9d8cce.jpg

a5fe1abc.jpg

Edited by JStump

Thanks, but when it rains it pours. I just added replacement of the fuel and return line quick disconnects to the list of things to fix. Snapped one off when I removed the tank and after doing research I found out it is an extremely common thing to happen and there was a recall for it. I guess I am glad I found out like this and not with a puddle of gas on the ground or worse, with a fire while I am riding! At this point I think I have spent $1300 on repairs and upgrades in the past month. Dont even want to see the bank statement when it comes out lol.