Track Suit Buying Advice (Need sizing help)

wantahertzdonut

I'm getting a new suit this year and talked to Todd of Motoseries to buy one through him. He recommended a couple brands but I'm caught on sizing.

I've measured myself, but am right between L and XL, so I need to know if it's good to have a suit that is tight and break it in or should I get XL and have more freedom of movement? I'm inclined to think tight is good but need to make sure.

Also, some measurements I'm dead on, others I'm off. I have a noticable draw and my chest measurements would put me in a larger size than my waist/hip measurements would allow. Would it be best to pick a size that is closest to my chest measurement? The waist/hips would be a little looser in that case.

what size business-type suit do you usually wear?

i must be getting lucky or something cause i just take the number from my suits (42) and buy that and it seems to work out. keeping in mind US42 = euro 52 (ie, dainese suits are typically sized with euro sizing, but most show both numbers)

tight is better, but dont judge your crotch tightness by when your standing up straight... it should feel like a good fit when you're in the tucked position.

if you're looking for a more relaxed suit, there are super moto suits and 2pc suits.

finally, if you post your weight, height, and whether you have abnormally proportioned monkey arms or midget legs, and your build (fatty, skinny, athletic, etc) people can offer you feedback based on their experience.

Edited by jbot
grammar edits

This is a similar situation I had last season. I was a 54/44 2 yrs ago, then got way thicker up top, but my legs and waist were the same. I had to go to 56/46 because my shoulders wouldn't fit. Actualy my 56/46 I have to work to get on/off because my shoulders are thick and wife vs. my waste and legs.

When I put in my back protector it tightens up the chest and waste perfect, but the legs are still more loose than I'd like. Only option is suit alterations. I emailed Alexa from WERA but she never got back with me, actually twice now. Going to try to call and see if I can get the legs altered before April season starts up here.

If you don't look like a monkey when you're standing in it, it's too big. They always tell you to go against your instincts and try to get the most form-fitting suit you can take.

Don't forget to sit on a bike with it. It's all about the bike.

I gained more then that....but working on getting it off and tried on my suits mid winter to see how it fitted. A little more to come off and all will be perfect since its just a little snug im the chest with spine protector.

But honestly, head to ironpony and try some suits out. We could help you more with a height/weight/waist etc, at least get you in the ballpark. For example, I'm 6'2" 228lbs with 34-36 waist and wear a 58/48 suit almost perfect.

Edited by SJC1000rr

+1 to whomever asked about brand. RS Taichi is the only brand I'm aware of that sizes as "large" and not by a number. I'm sure there are others, but as noted, the various brands are really only sized relative to themselves.

I wore a 44 fieldsheer, but 42's fit me better in other brands. I believe my Taichi is a "large," but I wouldn't call myself a large guy. Asians apparently would though.

The tight fit is needed to keep the armor from rolling on you when you tumble. Key thing is that comfort while standing as others have pointed out is not something to look for.

If you cannot get on a bike and move around, get into a catcher's position and extend the arms out forward and see how it feels. Decent indicator as to fit.

Remember one thing - most suits are somewhat different from one another. Most suits tend top fit similar if comparable in style and price. A $1200 suit ain't gonna fit like a $300 suit, etc...

If you know what brand, we can direct you to some suits that are around to try on. Basically, I suspect that Todd will allow you to swap for another size if it doesn't fit. I have never seen anyone tell someone they are stuck with it if they don't fit...

I see Spidi on MS's website, but if they were getting them through Motonation, Motonation is now an AGV distributor. I can say that AGV and Spidi fit Euro like and would fit similar to an AStar suit.

I'm 6' 2", long arms, 200 lbs, 34 inch waist. I wear a 46/56 A stars suit. With my back protector in it's a little tight up top, but a good tight. Legs are a little loose in the thigh, but not bad. The only thing that concerns me is the sleeves could be a touch longer, but my gauntlet gloves cover them fine. I could possibly move up to a 48/58, but I like my suit snug and it should still break in a little more as it's fairly new. One hell of a male camel toe though when standing straight up.

I'm about 5'9"-10", weigh 175-180, and have fairly wide shoulders for my height. I don't know my dress suit size, I'll have to look at it when I get home.

Todd recommended Taichi and Spidi brands, I was looking at the RS Taichi GP WRX R303 and GP MAX 070, and Spidi RR Leather Wind models.

I will need room for a back protector and would like to get a chest protector. Both just make sense.

Taichi's site uses measurements (metric), so it's pretty easy to convert to L or XL. They have slim-2XL widths for each size too.

http://pro1.rs-taichi.com/product/NXL303.html

Spidi is odd though, their sizes start at 46 which I would assume those are some European size which I'm not certain how to convert.

http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/motorcycle-suits/rr-wind-pro.html