Sv650 vs 650r. School me!!

rawlins87

Had an 07 650r for 3 years - great bike. Never owned or rode the SV, but from what I hear from other owners and folks I rode with, it more or less comes down to personal preference - neither is hands-down better than the other. I'd say the biggest advantage the SV has is a stronger aftermarket, but its a case of huge vs pretty big, so don't think you won't have options with the Ninja. Buy the one you can get the best deal on, or whichever one strikes you as particularly awesome looking. You'll be very happy on either bike.

SV is easily upgradeable with GSXR bits, and OEM rear shocks (i.e. Kaw, direct fit). Love the way my 650 handled. Love the sound of the twin, and the pull. Loved the 6 enough that I bought the 1k. We're still getting to know each other...

I like the tinker-factor of the SV's. Kind of one of those bikes thats okay stock, but easily and cheaply upgradeable to make it what you want it to be.

Sorted through a lot of bikes in the past, and have no complaints at all about either of my SVs.

i had am 06 ninja 650 for my first bike. the black with red frame. she was a head turner. beautiful. the new frame is kinda ghey in my book. all i did was the practically free mods, except for xenons and sportbars(which are a newbs alternative to clip-ons).

it wasn't the fastest thing out there, but definitely the most fun. never compared to the sv, though, but i'm sure it would be just as exciting.

if you're not going to go all track-day on it, i'd pick by price, or looks.

if you are... then, the sv is the choice. even i know that, without any knowledge of them.

I rode an SV and I gotta say it was a blast. Underpowered in my book, but handled better than it should and had awesome brakes. Very flickable and seems to really take a beating.

Can't go wrong with a twin. I vote SV.

I personally know the ohio distributor for Kawasaki. He is a former racer and could have any Kaw he wants. He rides a 650R.

Edited by max power

SV650 has been out longer so parts are more common and cheaper. Simple supply and demand.

Easy GSXR suspension swap, another one of those things you can find everywhere. You can run GSXR 600 wheel on the rear with some modification.

I loved mine. Great in the twists.

Edited by Radio Flyer

You can run GSXR 600 wheel on the rear with some modification.

This is a giant waste IMO.

I would love to have either one, there is way more of an SV following at the track but have seen both out there. I wouldn't mind having either one for messing around on the street.

Edited by blue03636

+1 on the SV. Both are great bikes, and having owned an SV1K, I will say that it is a great ride, good looking and low cost maintenance. I will say the 650 felt a bit under powered to me, but if you can get around that...Great bike you will be happy with.

I picked up a new SFV650 cheap at the end of last year. It has about half the power of my other bike, but is still lots of fun.

An '07 GSXR600 shock ($25 on fleabay), transformed it from a softish beginner bike to a capable corner carver. I like it a lot.

160 vs 180 rubber. Visually much better.

I have no regrets about making the conversion.

Upgraded the 1k to a 6" rear GSXR1k wheel and 190 rubber. Big handling difference? No. But I like the tinker factor, and the GSXR wheels are more appealing to me as well. I don't buy new bikes, so I don't have to feel bad about "wasting" money on stuff like this. I do it cuz I like to.

This is a giant waste IMO.

I would love to have either one, there is way more of an SV following at the track but have seen both out there. I wouldn't mind having either one for messing around on the street.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

Suits me, and handled like a dream. I can go into the whole "tire profile" argument with you, but I won't.

Just for reference, noting the bikes that are in your garage currently, have you owned an SV, or just "seen them at the track"?

If your doing it for looks fine, if your trying to get it to handle better it won't work. The 180 or 190 will not help it and actually make it worse.
Edited by YSR_Racer_99

I will chime in here and say I took a 650r out to Colorado springs and I enjoyed the ride. I would say the 650r is more of a touring setup though. There's only a few aspects of the 650 that reflect a sportbike but for the most part i wouldn't put it in the sportbike category. If your looking for long haul sportbike go for the 650r but if you are looking for a sportbike that can do a long haul got for the SV.

I love my 07 SV. I've put over 18k trouble free miles on it. The motor is great for around town or bombing back roads, and the power is there for most any type of riding you might want to do. That said you wount be keeping up with any 600/1000 when they start twisting the throttle.

I was recently in the same debate. I went with an SV as it seemed a bit more versatile overall as far as upgrades parts and such. Big thing to consider (assuming you go with a sv650s or sf) is the clipons versus bars on the 650r. You will have a more upright position with the 650r than the sv650 although you can change the SV or have bars with an older naked SV. Both seem great, both have good followings. So far the SV has been a great first bike very glad I went the 650 route instead of starting on a 250 or 500. I honestly think whichever you get a good deal on you will be happy. Do get sliders to protect that plastic though (mine was pre dropped so scratched but not cracked, doing touchup and slider install as soon as the parts and paint arrives, hopefully today and Saturday).