Picked up my first wankel

DrewsBrews

Since I like projects I picked up a not currently running '76 Suzuki RE5 tonight. Came with hardbags, trunkbox, touring fairing, and a like new seat. But best of all it's a rotary! No pics yet since it was dark by the time I got it in storage, but soon.

Void...stupid autocorrect... Meant gold....good...fucking autocorrect!

Most of he recipies I've come up with myself have been all extract brew with the blended LME from williamsbrewing.com. I've done a decent all extract attempt to mimic Arrogant Bastard Ale. Besides that I mostly do kits from the local shops (listermann, or paradise)

Pics ot GTFO!

Yeah, yeah..Been riding the EX when it's light out and not at work. Maybe I can run over to the storage unit today when the rain takes a nap.

It's a monstrosity of a motor, looks like suzuki had to put on fix after fix on it to get it to be what they wanted. Like CSC said, overcomplicated. For example the exhaust temps are very high so it has a huge heatsink manifold to split the one output into 2 pipes, and an elaborate double wall pipe system with an air inlet to keep from leaving charred skin behind.

Basically the consumer didn't trust it, so they sold extremely poorly and suzuki about lost it's ass for it. It's a bike that has special needs, and for those who can't cater to them, or bought it used from a PO that couldn't, they have problems. Others say they are dead reliable. I just think it's neat, and the price was right.

It's a monstrosity of a motor, looks like suzuki had to put on fix after fix on it to get it to be what they wanted. Like CSC said, overcomplicated. For example the exhaust temps are very high so it has a huge heatsink manifold to split the one output into 2 pipes, and an elaborate double wall pipe system with an air inlet to keep from leaving charred skin behind.

I wonder if thats just the nature of the rotary engine. I know my first Gen RX7 i had was equipped with an exhaust temp idiot light. I had the catalytic converter removed and a coffee can exhaust put on. Then when i would down shift to slow down it would sometimes throw fire out the exhaust. I didnt know it was happening until someguy that was behind me on an exit ramp told me there were flames coming out my exhaust. Then after that i could just about do it on command. That car was fun to drive. Mash gas till you hear the redline buzzer, shift and repeat!

Yeah vids I've seen of norton rotary bikes.. the pipes start to glow. Probably comes with the territory.

When we talk about complication compare it to the Hercules W2000. It was a much more simplified design for a rotary. Air cooled vs the re5's water/oil cooling. And i believe it just used premix instead of "oil injection" the RE5 incorporated.

Edited by DrewsBrews

Nice.

Also just ordered two Grossman books. Looking forward to them.

Cool hope you like em. Only other book of his I read was On Killing. it was pretty creepy for a nonfiction. His books can get a bit exhausting since I feel some points are drilled, but it's worth it to get through them.

On Combat seemed perfect mental preperation for CCW. Things to keep in mind when training. To be prepared for and empowered by the crazy things your body does when in a real "him or you" situation, and how to cope with the strange things that go through your head in the time afterward.

Edited by DrewsBrews

I took entry forms for some motocross riders over to Cernic's in Johnstown, Pa. about five years ago and they had a spotless and possibly new leftover/owners RE5 on the showroom floor.

If you wanted to make a road trip sometime you might go check it out, of course you might want to call and ask if its still there.

Have some parts on the way so hopefully it will be running within the next couple weeks. The PO pointed out one of the 2 points were missing (screw and all) and the wire was pretty neatly cut. Seems like sabotage from one of the many hands this bike has been through. It'l be a simple solder job to fix though.

I never realized that a rotary bike engine was made... So does it have an Apex seal that is notorious to go bad?

The apex seals, akin to piston rings, only last as long as oil is being fed to them. Since the bike uses oil injection in the intake for seal lubrication, if/when that system fails there go the seals... so rule #1 is check the injection oil reservoir lol. It's pretty big though so it probably takes a while to run out.

Edited by DrewsBrews

• 2 weeks later...

Figured out that the 76s only used one point set. The second set was removed at the factory.

Finally tried to start it up last night. Installed the points plate, oiled the apex seals through the plug hole, installed a new plug ($40 ouch), drained the tank and gave it a splash of premix, popped in a battery and gave it a try. It would rev for a split second if I let it sit for a couple minutes between startup attempts. It seemed the longer I let it sit, it would rev slightly longer. The petcock was leaking badly when switched to reserve, so I tried an alternate fuel container. Same result.

I have no idea how someone is supposed to kick start the thing. All 230lb of me could barely turn it over. I'm glad it's got a good electro starter.

Edited by DrewsBrews

• 3 weeks later...

IT LIVES!!

I went through the carb yesterday, (counted 7 jets just in the bowl), slapped it on and she started up! It's not running the greatest, but it will hold an idle and it responds to the throttle. I heard they were loud, but damn.. the idle is probably twice as loud as my ex with the delkevic slips. If the lights worked I'd have ridden it the 2mi to the apartment so I can work on it in the garage. Probably best it didn't since it's only got rear brake. Atleast I was able to quell the urge by putting around the storage complex a few times.

And I'll be damned, It starts up on the first stomp of the kickstart too. Granted it was warm by that point.

Edited by DrewsBrews