is this a reasonable price for a klr?

cOoTeR

I think $4800 is a little high for an '09.I have an '08 and I seriously doubt I could get more than $2800-$3000 out of mine...but I have about 20,000 miles on it.

To my way of thinking the KLR is basically a road bike...it's pretty heavy for anything offroad.If you're going to be playing in deep sand or a lot of off road I'd look for something lighter,maybe a KTM or DRZ.If you're planning on long rides and some off road,KLR might work for you.

• Upvote 1

I think $4800 is a little high for an '09.I have an '08 and I seriously doubt I could get more than $2800-$3000 out of mine...but I have about 20,000 miles on it.

To my way of thinking the KLR is basically a road bike...it's pretty heavy for anything offroad.If you're going to be playing in deep sand or a lot of off road I'd look for something lighter,maybe a KTM or DRZ.If you're planning on long rides and some off road,KLR might work for you.

Wow, almost identical to what I told him. ;)

The drz that I've seen are 250's out here is that a better bike for more off road than on?

Depends on the setup. I have a friend with a KLX250 who's ridden the thing to Maine and back.

How big are you? Height weight?

Off road experience?

Types to terrain? Big rocks, deep sand, mud, hard packed passes, chip and pave? It makes a difference. For a 200 lb guy, at 5'11" a DR200 will feel like a mini bike and maybe do 55mph. The same guy will have good power and suspension on a CRF250. Go to some dealers and sit of some bikes to get an idea of what is comfortable.

In the $4000 price range you should have a lot of options in used bikes.;)

I'm 5'11 200 lbs. As for terrain not sure we have it all out here except for mud that's only during the monsoon season July/august.

Ever ridden off road? A super moto will do off road but the smaller front tire makes it less stable on dirt. Plus they use street tires not knobbies. That KLX 450 will be a power machine. My yz 426 would be great fun for a skilled rider out there but not good for long drives on road in 100 degree temps. It would also kill a unskilled rider pretty quick.:rolleyes:

Go visit the dealership and try this...

http://www.sierracycles.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=17312483&Brand=20&Type=1787&fm=1

or this

http://www.sierracycles.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=17639364&Brand=35&Type=1787&fm=1

My off road experience is basically zero. I've had a couple of hours on dirtbikes but nothing crazy. Is like to get into it though.

In that case I'd really head to the sierra place if it's close to you and check out that KLX250. It is powerful enough to move you at 65mph, has suspension enough for your weight, should be comfortable for your height and is light enough to make most off road experiences enjoyable without being a monster to pick up when you pick the wrong line in the rocks or sand. It is the type of bike that you can grow into, work on and yet enjoy for many years.

Thanks guys. I ended up going with the 08 klx450.

Good bike but if it's anything like the YZ426 please be careful, it can get away from you in a hurry. But have fun and I'd love some photos of the trails you find. :D