Race Tech Cartride Emulators - anyone used them?

Tpoppa

Thinking about installing them on the SFV650. Are they a PITA to install? Do they make much of a difference?

The spring rate in the forks is about right for my weight, they are just under damped for both rebound and compression. I am thinking about going with heavier fork oil and installing the cartridge emulators.

They work. They are better than the stock damper rods for sure. I ran a track SV with springs, oil and the cartridge emulators procured from Traxxion Dynamics (they modify the 41mm ones, as they don't fit on the damper rod themselves - Though I am not sure about the Gladius).

The biggest thing to change, is the oil to get the charateristics you want. I ran anything from 20wt, to 30wt to a mix. But that was on a first gen SV and with the 2nd Gen SV and Gladius you can do the Emultors and get away with 7.5 wt or even 5wt, which are less susceptable to temperature change. It's an easy job with a triple/yoke stand. It would be good to do it anyways as the factory suzuki fork oil is like a 5 weight and there is always a ton of crap in there. I changed the oil two or three times a season.

I would look at the Ricor Intiminators instead. I've heard really good things on them and they perform better than Racetech stuff. I never tested or ran them, as my SV was sold a few years ago.

Good info, thanks.

The Gladius has 41mm forks (adjustable only for preload) and come stock with 10wt oil. I will at least go up to 15 wt.

I put a GSXR rear shock on it and it made a huge difference. Mid corner bumps will get the front end to 'float' a bit. I maxed the front preload to compensate for the underdamping and it helped some, but it's still not 'right.' It feels like it needs 1 turn for rebound and compression.

I was thinking about trying 15wt oil in the stock forks, but while I have them apart might as well install some emulators.

Won't a gsxr fork putty much bolt right up? Then you would have actual cartridges instead of emulators.
It does and if you are picky and wait, you can do the swap for pretty much no money when you sell your stock stuff.

But, it's easier to toss in some emulators for $150 total and see how you like it.

The emulators will fix the floating sensation. They front end will end up being a tad harsh on road over sharp edge bumps. Like the freeway expansion joints or frost heaves. But everywhere else, they are great.

Won't a gsxr fork putty much bolt right up? Then you would have actual cartridges instead of emulators.

Wouldn't I need to worry about the fender & brake bolting up correctly? And I would need 41mm conventional forks unless I swapped the whole frent end, which I don't want to do.

The biggest thing to change, is the oil to get the charateristics you want. I ran anything from 20wt, to 30wt to a mix.

W_W,

How did you decide on oil weight? Trial and error? was 20 to 30 just for track or did you ride it on street? OOC, how much do you weigh?

I used the 20wt for street rides and track riding with temps below 70F. Anything over 70 and I went with 30wt or a blend.

I'm 230lbs and ran 1.0kg/mm springs in the ole gal. I did drill the out the stock damper rod holes and a damper rod holder would be a big help. I have a piece of 3/4" water pipe that I ground down to mimick the OEM Suzuki tool. A broom stick handle might work too.