triumph taillight wiring problem

GotBoost2JZ

Today I went to wire in the new LED taillight. Mind you, this isn't the first LED taillight I've had on the bike. I was replacing an aftermarket taillight with another one that is the exact same but with LED's instead of a single bulb. Dimensions and wiring are the same however.

I wired it up without wrapping it to check that I wired it correctly and it lit up. Then I went to check the brake light and suddenly all the lights were off, as if the wires came undone. I rechecked them and no luck. I tried the non led light and no luck. I even tried the big OEM triumph brake light. No luck. I tried every wiring order possible and they were not wired the wrong way.

My guess is that somehow a fuse blew or e relay or something? Any idea? And If so, any idea where those are at?

Also, are LED's SUPER effing sensitive of something? I might have accidentally touched one of the diodes while installing it.

So now I have no running or brake light. Rushing to figure it out because no running/brake light is grounds for zero riding and I have a Triumph meet and cruise to hocking hills this Sunday to get ready for :/

Yes, LEDs are very sensitive. If they were not assembled correctly or you did touch the diode to too much power it will burn out the LED. I have made a bunch of LED tail lights and blew quite a few years ago when I was still learning about resistance and soldering. Just touching one with your finger wont do anything but touching it with power without the proper resistance would. If your triumph is like mine, you have fuses under the seat, by the headlights and in the cockpit fairing.

What would explain none of the lights I tried working though? Fuse?

Could the LED have blown a fuse?

I don't have any fuses under the seat or in the headlight and I don't have front end fairings btw. It's a 98 thunderbird sport. The only fuses that I do know of are under the right side mini fairing compartment.

Most likely a fuse, if it were just the LEDs I would say you killed them but if it is all the lights it has to be a fuse or wiring. But normally lights are fuses separately from each other so headlights are separate from tails and separate from turns. You didn't hit the kill switch on accident did you?

Did you check the fuses under the right side mini fairing compartment? Did a fuse blow there in the past, did you then reinstall a new fuse that was rated the same or was it rated lower/higher? Does the new LED light have a fuse installed?

You might have more responses if you ask or snoop around in a bike specific forum. Like this triumph maintenance & workshop talk.

Edited by Mikejr879