Adirondack Mts in Upsate NY - Ever been?

Jcarlson

I grew up in Rochester NY, camped in the Adirondacks a billion times, did a few weeks at Ft Drum with the Guard, but never rode up there.

We're going there this summer. My sister has a camp on Sacandaga Lake near Amsterdam and we're bring the bikes to enjoy the fresh outdoor mountain air for a few days. We thought about riding up to Old Forge, Lake George, etc.

Has anyone ever ridden there? Share you story, please.

Thanks

Jim

If you are looking for a great route that will show all the highlights take 12 from Utica to 28 which heads right into Old Forge. A must see is the Old Forge Hardware store. It is historical and full of tourist crap. :lol: Okay, there's some neat stuff in there to. Continue North towards Inlet and stop at Big Moose Yamaha. No bikes but cool boats and snow mobiles, say hi to Phil and Jenny for me. :) Continue north on 28 to 30N at long lake and thru Tupper lake all the way to Paul Smiths College. I think the Adirondack museum if just north of Tupper, it's sad but never been in the place but I hear it's cool. At PSC take a right onto 86 towards the town of Paul Smiths'. So small you might miss it but the SHP won't mind giving you a reward if you miss the speed limit signs. Continue on 86 to Saranac Lake and eventually into Placid. Again, don't forget to stop at all the little stores as the people need your tourist $$$$. Take 73 out of Placid thru Keen valley and along the Ausable River, but if you get a chance head to Heart Lake and hike up Algonquin mtn. 3Rd highest peak in the park! It has dwarf trees and tundra at the top. Also ask people in Placid about John Browns Grave, the Arena Bar, Ski Jumping park, read about the 78' Olympics and oogle Gothic Mtn. One of the coolest looking peaks around Placid to the SW of town. Oh and that's Mirror lake you see in town, not Placid. :lol:

Form Placid depending on where you wanna be you can backtrack to Saranac and take 3 back to 30 or 28 which both lead to the south end of the park again or take 73 to 86 and head to Lake George. You can see the Fort and see many more Adirondack gift shops specializing in fake indian crap.

The SW side of the park around the Hudson is the flatest and most boring area. Lake Placid area has the coolest looking mountains. North of PSC has the most remote areas with the fewest people and roughest roads that you can really get lost on till you hit Canada. And the SW is the most tourist filled area IMHO where traffic jams happen every day with people in big RV's trying to navigate the curving roads and reverse banked corners. Areas away from main state routes can become dead end gravel roads fast and cell phones are useless over a mile from main towns. Here are some pics and video of my rides up there.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/luke1324/rides/?action=view&current=forwardviewstillwater.mp4

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/luke1324/rides/?action=view&current=McCartytraillong.mp4

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/luke1324/rides/?action=view&current=rightwayontrail.mp4

DSCN3070.jpg

Be carefull if you take a dip in the streams or lakes especially if there is a muddy bottom. Don't wanna step on one of these! ;)

4570govtnsnapper.jpg

On road.......not offroad!!!!! You can make that a whole other trip up there.;) And I sent you a PM on Stromtroopers, when you gonna respond?

Hardly go on strom troopers anymore because most my rides go where those guys don't. ;)

Born and raised in Rome NY. We camped at Elger Island on 4th lake 4 or 5 times a year. Awesome area!! road around many times, very nice roads and you can stop and watch the bears eat out of the lawns around some of the camps.

Born and raised in Rome NY. We camped at Elger Island on 4th lake 4 or 5 times a year. Awesome area!! road around many times, very nice roads and you can stop and watch the bears eat out of the lawns around some of the camps.

Ever head up to Big Moose?

Ever head up to Big Moose?

I have not, do plan to take a trip back in the next year or two but i will be taking the boat and camping... may have to think about throwing the bike in the back of the truck though,

:)

If you buy a dual sport in the mean time the road from Big Moose Station to Still water reservoir restaurant is a real nice dirt ride. From there you can go all the way to Lyons Falls and then across Moose River Rd to 28 and back to Old Forge. One of my favorite routes.;)

Well like I said I haven't been there in years. We used to camp at a KOA just outside Old Forge. It's still there but it's not a KOA anymore. I love it there - the Adirondacks. Think I'll have my ashes scattered there LOL. I've been to Big Moose Inn, just to visit though. I've been to lakes 1-7, Tupper, Saranac, Placid - all over. 300 times better than the Smokies I think.

For those that have never been, the Adirondacks isn't a place, it's a state of being. You have to go to understand what I mean. Those that have been understand. They know what I'm talking about.

Has anyoneever winter camped up there? Ha Haaaa!! There's nothing like digging your trailer out of four feet of snow BEFORE you turn the heat on!! Ya gotta love it!!

Bowdog - Born and raised in Rome huh? No nukes up there is there? LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

I've been to Seneca Army Depot. I've seen the barbed wire, electric fence, MP's, ammo bunkers, the Oridinance unit.

Nooooo there are no nukes up there. Well, maybe not any more. There are only tons of Albino deer.

Yeah, but the last time I was up it was far more civilized than it used to be. The influx of NYC ass holes who can afford to live in the mountains and work in NYC during the week have had a negative effect of the lifestyle my family up there has had for 5 generations.

Bowdog - Born and raised in Rome huh? No nukes up there is there? LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

LMAO nope no Nukes around here!! I miss NY a lot but unfortunitely no good jobs around there unless you wan't to work in a factory or a mill.

Here are a couple of articles I've written about riding in the Adirondacks. This one was in American Motorcyclist five years ago and has more background information and history about the area, in addition to riding. It's in Google Books, so go to page 28 of the magazine to see the story. And here's a more recent and shorter article that was in Rider magazine. The Adirondacks don't provide the most technical or challenging roads, but it is beautiful country and has lots of interesting history to it when you dig below the surface.

The Adirondacks don't provide the most technical or challenging roads, but it is beautiful country and has lots of interesting history to it when you dig below the surface.

Take a ride up 30 from Tupper Lake to Paul Smiths at 65mph and say that again. The joke is that the engineer followed a drunk snake. :lol: There are lots of great roads for Adventure Touring. Most cruisers and sport bikes avoid them due to suspension.