Any "Free" Camping along Blue Ridge Pkwy?

Pfloydgad

Well I'm heading down to see my son in Hampton, Va the 2nd week of April, and was wondering if anyone on here knows of any free campgrounds along the way or on the BRP ?

I'm a cheap ass and will commando camp if necessary, but if a free campground is available, I would prefer a more secure site.

So I was just wondering if the masses here knew of any.

Thanks for your input.

Ride safe all,

Greg

You can dispersed camp on almost any undeveloped federal land. Which usually means no notification to the federal parklands, but sometimes need to check that. Just follow the guidelines. Most federal parks and state parks allow some sort of primitive camping as well. But often limited to certain areas.

I've even pulled into national parks and signed in at the gate for the night. Gone in the morning.

Halfway to Hampton would be northern Virginia or northern West Virginia. Like around Blackwater Falls State Park in West Virginia. Cabins are available. West Virginia rules do not allow unregulated camping in state parks. Fee required.

Primitive drive-in camping is available at James River in Seven Bends State Park in Virginia.

Mononghela National Forest and George Washington National Forest and Shenandoah National Park are also about half way. Shenandoah requires a free permit for back country camping. George Washington National Forest has 5 dispersed camping sites listed. No fee on some and open year round on some. Winner.

Stuff like that. Just Google your route and zoom in on the park lands and click on the links to the parks to find information.

edit: Reserve America. Find and search federal, state, and private camping spots.

edit: ok, after more looking, the blue ridge parkway has mostly federal land with dispersed camping allowed in many areas. Shenandoah National Park is in the North part. Permits can be obtained at locations along the parkway. See this Shenandoah Park page for info.

edit: I remember staying overnight in the Cherokee, North Carolina area. Don't know exactly which park, there are dozens of them. Somebody tried to take the tires off the car. I was sleeping in the car, so it didn't work out for them. But that's pretty much true of all the Cherokee North Carolina area. So just watch yourself and be aware.

edit: USDA information on dispersed camping in North Carolina.

Edited by ReconRat

• 4 weeks later...