DTM Hooked it up...

Exit Wounds

• 1 year later...

Cool, bring it out.. we usually have a pretty good time back in biker alley.  If you have the means to stay overnight it would make life easier for you if you plan on racing the series. There is a motel just up the road too... You know Bob and Mike Nugent, they run at Kilcare all the time? They were out all this last year.

Check out my reply to the NTR post in this forum...

Edited by Exit Wounds

Ill be out the first test and tune nights to get use to launching the beast and to stretch her legs since ive only ever launched my old zx6r i had before. Both national trails and kilkare are close to the house so when I get my nhra license ill be running the series. Havemt made it out to either place yet just got the 12 a month ago. I grew up running bmws at quaker city raceway in salem nothing ive ever needed a license for. How do I go about making my qualifying passes for the nhra license I assume you have one since your running in the 9s

Ill be out the first test and tune nights to get use to launching the beast and to stretch her legs since ive only ever launched my old zx6r i had before. Both national trails and kilkare are close to the house so when I get my nhra license ill be running the series. Havemt made it out to either place yet just got the 12 a month ago. I grew up running bmws at quaker city raceway in salem nothing ive ever needed a license for. How do I go about making my qualifying passes for the nhra license I assume you have one since your running in the 9s

Go here:

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=46983&zoneid=175

Read through it... It seems like more than it is, but if you're going in the 9s and plan on running more than just once in a while, like running an ET series sooner or later you'll get kicked out if you don't have it done.  You need to be an NHRA member and you'll need to have a physical done before making your license runs. You can go to an Urgent Care if you don't have a family doc. Usually not a big deal. The forms for everything is at the above link.

Once you got that done we can hook up while were at the track, you'll need a few guys with license's in your class to sign off for you and watch your runs.

If you've never ridden the bike at the track that chances you'll go in the 9s aren't great. It's possible but not likely. If the bike is stock height and short with nothing done to the motor... probably wont happen right away. You can get away with running 10.0s all day long and not need a thing as far as a license goes.

You'll need to have your safety gear in order. Snell 2005 or newer helmet (look inside the shell of the helmet for the sticker), leather jacket with pants that zip to the coat (If you go over 120 mph , which is possible on that bike) if not running over 120 jeans are fine. Leather gloves, Boots that cover ankles (high tops will usually pass.) You'll need a positive teather kill. Lotsa guys drill a small pilot hole in the kill switch on the handle bar and a small sheet metal screw to a teather attached you so if you fall off it kills the bike. If you don't want to drill holes, there are nice kill switches out there to be bought. Chain guard at least to the rear axle (stock is fine if you don't have an arm or extensions). No bald tires, must have at least one tail light, for night running. The usual highlights that people get dinged on.

Edited by Exit Wounds
  • Upvote 1

I have a full drag 2 piece leather suit. Im gonna get a mps kill switch put on it this winter and gotta get a chain guard but I may not break 9s until year after next but well see its got a full muzzy with a pc3 not sure on the tune I think im gonna have dtm tune it in the spring. Its not a dedicated drag bike cause I still like carve corners

NP, lotsa guys still ride their bikes that run street ET. If you haven't already Id say you at least want to buy a tie down strap for your front end, helps with wheelies and its fairly inexpensive. Careful while its strapped, makes the kickstand too long usually and you bike will fall over.

Good place to get parts quick:  kill switches, straps etc.

http://store.schnitzracing.com/

Out of curiosity what all have you done to the bike? What gearing are you running?

Basic bolt on stuff, strapped, with lowering links, sidewinder w/ DTM custom map on pump gas, Brocks clutch  mod, airshifter, Mods to help the bike roll better. -1+2 gearing. I'm 235lbs in shorts.

Edited by Exit Wounds

Go here:

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=46983&zoneid=175

Read through it... It seems like more than it is, but if you're going in the 9s and plan on running more than just once in a while, like running an ET series sooner or later you'll get kicked out if you don't have it done. You need to be an NHRA member and you'll need to have a physical done before making your license runs. You can go to an Urgent Care if you don't have a family doc. Usually not a big deal. The forms for everything is at the above link.

Once you got that done we can hook up while were at the track, you'll need a few guys with license's in your class to sign off for you and watch your runs.

If you've never ridden the bike at the track that chances you'll go in the 9s aren't great. It's possible but not likely. If the bike is stock height and short with nothing done to the motor... probably wont happen right away. You can get away with running 10.0s all day long and not need a thing as far as a license goes.

You'll need to have your safety gear in order. Snell 2005 or newer helmet (look inside the shell of the helmet for the sticker), leather jacket with pants that zip to the coat (If you go over 120 mph , which is possible on that bike) if not running over 120 jeans are fine. Leather gloves, Boots that cover ankles (high tops will usually pass.) You'll need a positive teather kill. Lotsa guys drill a small pilot hole in the kill switch on the handle bar and a small sheet metal screw to a teather attached you so if you fall off it kills the bike. If you don't want to drill holes, there are nice kill switches out there to be bought. Chain guard at least to the rear axle (stock is fine if you don't have an arm or extensions). No bald tires, must have at least one tail light, for night running. The usual highlights that people get dinged on.

Good info.

I'd like to make some passes next year. I have everything but the kill switch. Might just buy a used switch and change it out for the track.