Another crazy with passenger...

ReconRat

Over on the West coast in Oregon. Nobody hurt, but the results are interesting. On the freeway with a passenger, a state trooper attempted a stop for speeding, but couldn't keep up. Off the freeway, a local town attempted to stop but gave up also. State troopers go to his house and arrest him.

Brock was arrested and taken to the Douglas County Jail, where he was lodged for Felony Eluding Police in a Motor Vehicle, Reckless Driving, and Recklessly Endangering a Minor. He was also cited for Violation of the Basic Rule for going 107 mph in a 55 mph speed zone. Troopers also contacted and identified the 14-year old female passenger. After she was interviewed by OSP she was released to her parents from the suspect's residence. Brock is being held on $125,000 bail.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/OSP-Man-on-motorcycle-does-107-with-teen-passenger-146592295.html

That's a whole lot of trouble there. And probably more to come.

Oregon has a basic rule about reasonable speed on the roadway, a separate offense:

The Basic Rule

All travel on public streets and highways is subject to the Basic Speed Rule. The Basic Speed Rule states that a motorist must drive at a speed that is reasonable and prudent at all times by considering other traffic, road and weather conditions, dangers at intersections and any other conditions that affect safety and speed. In other words, drivers are expected to use good judgment in selecting their speed.

The Basic Speed Rule does not authorize a driver to exceed the posted speed. If a motorist is charged with violation of the basic speed rule, the posted speed becomes the primary evidence that he/she exceeded the Basic Speed Rule. In this case, it would be up to the motorist to prove that he/she was driving in a reasonable and prudent manner for the conditions.

A person can also drive below the posted speed and violate the Basic Speed Rule. For instance, if there is ice or snow on the roadway, a driver can be traveling less than the speed posted and still be traveling faster than is reasonable and prudent for the conditions.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/TRAFFIC-ROADWAY/speed_zone_program.shtml#The_Basic_Rule

Where's the proof he was the driver? I don't see how they got this warrant. The 14yr old female is the thing that seems odd how old is this dude. Why can the cops not keep up at 107mph? Oh yeah because those in charge are too big of pussies to allow their officers on the street to catch criminals. They'd rather let them run and hide whatever they had that made them not wanna stop.

One answer might be that there have been pursuits that ended badly in the recent past. That generates a policy of non-pursuit for a while. Same happens here in Ohio. It goes back and forth. Certainly if a helicopter or aircraft is in the air nearby, it will take over the tracking.

Or like in California (LA), they don't pursue much at all, but they generally have aircraft up in the air everywhere all the time. If not, a darn news team helicopter will start broadcasting it live and they can just turn the channel to watch that.

Or the most realistic, I wouldn't pursuit out of concern for the passenger's safety.

They did get the plate number. They probably got to his place right after he got there. I think they got a confession during the interview at his house. News article said he is 21.

It would be interesting to see a few dashcam videos from the pursuit. Sounds like he was on the wrong side of the road quite a bit while fleeing through town.

I understand the no pursuit thing but the issue I have with it is you let everyone know you won't chase them then they know they can get a way with anything if they have a full tank. How do they know Ys hadn't tricked that girl into going for a ride so he could take her somewhere other than his house where he could rape and kill her.

What information did the officers have at the time of the pursuit that would suggest the passenger was no a willing passenger?

Damnes if they do, damned if they don't. If they can get the plate# and the bike is not reported stolen then chasing him until he crashes would be PR hell for them. Get him at his house.

Your telling me you'd be able to positively identify a guy traveling ahead of you at 107 mph? How do you know his house is where he is going to go? What would you do stake the place out for a couple days wait til he comes home? Even a public defender can beat that. All the guy has to claim is I let a guy take the bike for a test ride he just left before you guys showed up. Did he do something wrong? Criminals lie. Where as a lie will get a law enforcement officer fired. Something like the gigglie effect I think its called. If you claim you can identify they guy the defense lawyer can ask you to identify three people who ride by at a legal speed limit. You've got a matter of seconds to decide who's who not going to happen.

It's just the worst feeling in law enforcement when someone flees and your told to let them go by your superiors. 1 what's the guy hiding / why is he running? 2 what evidence is he going to destroy when I can't see him? 3 is this guy on his way to hurt someone? It's hard to sleep at night after that because it keeps running thru your head. The more they are let go the more people that are going to run making it more dangerous on the street.

A lose-lose-lose-lose scenario... stop the chase, crashes anyway, passenger dies, murder charges.

Man Charged With Murder After Motorcycle Crash

Wichita, Kansas. Strangely similar to the one in Oregon.

edit: comments say the passenger had outstanding warrants...

Edited by ReconRat

One happened out here few weeks ago. Guy was on the forum out here saying how all he wants to do is wheelie and go fast. Never had a bike before.. Gets a bike kills this poor girl.

Here is the one of the articles.http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/attorney-speaks-out-after-fatal-crash

Edited by DucatiDern

One answer might be that there have been pursuits that ended badly in the recent past. That generates a policy of non-pursuit for a while. Same happens here in Ohio. It goes back and forth. Certainly if a helicopter or aircraft is in the air nearby, it will take over the tracking.

Or like in California (LA), they don't pursue much at all, but they generally have aircraft up in the air everywhere all the time. If not, a darn news team helicopter will start broadcasting it live and they can just turn the channel to watch that.

Or the most realistic, [bold]I wouldn't pursuit out of concern for the passenger's safety.[/bold]

They did get the plate number. They probably got to his place right after he got there. I think they got a confession during the interview at his house. News article said he is 21.

It would be interesting to see a few dashcam videos from the pursuit. Sounds like he was on the wrong side of the road quite a bit while fleeing through town.

bold for.sure is enough to warrant a chase useless, if he crashed.evading the police on the bike shit.would.hit.the.fan.big time...

Idk bout Colorado laws, but in Ohio they dont do high speed.chases in the city any more after that cop.was killed. Also I dont think they can persue a bike period in Ohio if they are trying to out run the popo(correct me if im wrong or if that is only in.certain cases)

One happened out here few weeks ago. Guy was on the forum out here saying how all he wants to do is wheelie and go fast. Never had a bike before.. Gets a bike kills this poor girl.

Here is the one of the articles.http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/attorney-speaks-out-after-fatal-crash

Sad story. Inexperience seems to the biggest killer

bold for.sure is enough to warrant a chase useless, if he crashed.evading the police on the bike shit.would.hit.the.fan.big time...

Idk bout Colorado laws, but in Ohio they don't do high speed.chases in the city any more after that cop.was killed. Also I don't think they can pursue a bike period in Ohio if they are trying to out run the popo(correct me if i'm wrong or if that is only in.certain cases)

I forgot about that chase that caused a fatality with the pursuing officer. You are correct. Clear risk of crash for all involved, as well as others that stumble into the path. I'd think with the increased "lack of attention, busy with phone/music/distractions" type behavior currently popular that any high speed stuff through a populated city would be not really be possible.

Was teaching a young kid defensive driving, and she said "why do I have to use a turn signal when I can see no one is there?". I laughed, and said it's for that one you didn't see coming at you. And it will happen. How many chase videos have we seen from the air, where a vehicle stumbles into the path of the chase without warning.