Will this generator power tire warmers?

redkow97

It's a champion "1500" watt model, but that's 1500 peak, and more like 1050watt continuous.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Equipment-42431-Generator-Compliant/dp/B004XRL4NI/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1334094552&sr=1-2

I was looking at "2000" watt generators for marginally more money, but people who have purchased them seem to have tested them with meters, and most are merely advertised as 2000watt, and actually only put out 1500 peak watts anyway.

All I know about tire warmers tells me it will be cutting things close... I generally assume 900-1100 watts for a set of warmers.

Edited by redkow97

if they are woodcrafts, then probably...if anything else probably not. Most warmers are around 1200-1250 watts per pair. Even if it did run them, you would be at peak the entire time, which you do not want to do.

From the review: "The title on the product is misleading. Actually, the generator has starting watts of 1500, maximum of 1200 watts and continuous of 1080 watts. Don't believe the product heading because the manufacturer's box doesn't state that."

..and they are some brand I've not heard of, but "by Woodcraft." As if the company branded them as their own, before Woodcraft was selling them retail.

Sometime there is a tag on each warmer that will list the wattage per warmer. If you don't know the exact wattage it would be hard to gauge, but either way it sounds like you are going to be pretty close. I would look into going to the next size up, that way you can ran a fan or other things if needed. Look into one of those champion genny/inverters posted before in tyler's thread, not a bad price at all.

1 option you do have which I covered with Twisted last night for running 2 sets of warmers at close to capacity on a genny is this;

You basically put one warmer on the genny to let it warm up a little and on the tire, say 10 mins, then you plug in the second one and let it warm up. This takes the peak draw off the genny to different times. Obviouslly it's not ideal for warming tires up at the same time, in his case it was 2 bikes 2 sets of warmers so 1 set warmed up and then add 2nd set(two at a time).

Honestly man, you'll just want a bigger genny and for 110 more, get the full size Champion.

Yeah, I was basically trying to get away with a better brand instead of a bigger genny.

I just don't want to spend a bunch on something I only use 8 times a year. I have some emails out to Craigslist sellers on bigger units.

Yeah man I heard that, fyi I had posted a Champion on here for 250 and I know they can be found on Craigs too. I was referring to the Champ we all run which is 299 and legit.

Also, maybe just when you decide to rock something out, just post and ask if you can borrow space. I know for instance Blue03636, Apch8R, SJC1000RR, we all run genny's that can easily power 2 sets. Granted Blue and I are still running normal generators while the other ballers are running nice Yammy invertors, but either way.

the Amazon tracking number says my generator is sitting on my porch. Should be home around 7:00 to fire it up :D

now I just have to hope it wasn't destroyed during shipping. cross your fingers.

Anyone hooked one of these up to the breaker box to power their house? I'd like to figure that out sooner rather than later, so the wife sees the practical application.

the Amazon tracking number says my generator is sitting on my porch. Should be home around 7:00 to fire it up :D

now I just have to hope it wasn't destroyed during shipping. cross your fingers.

Anyone hooked one of these up to the breaker box to power their house? I'd like to figure that out sooner rather than later, so the wife sees the practical application.

WOAH DONT DO THAT without a throwout switch chief. If you do and the power comes back on, you will be wishing that you hadn't real fast.

Throwout switches were running 199 last I looked at HD, but should ONLY be installed by someone who knows what they are doing since you have to cut power to the house to do so. But yes, I have 2 sets of family with this done, 1 will run enough lights to have 1-2 on in every room, fridges, heat, and fans etc. Another has a whole house, like 50,000W or some crazy thing and that will power his whole house or several houses.

But like I said, you can't just plug one in, well you can, but be prepared to cry if the power comes on and you dont have it done right.

The throwout switch cuts power to the generator right away and there is no over power/surges that blow shit up.

I plan to have this once we move to our permanent location after selling our current place in a few years.

You need to use a generator transfer switch.

http://advanced.m.nextag.com/home-generator-transfer-switch/zzamzB1z0--search-html

I put one in my house and it was pretty simple. They had a dvd with the kit. It took me longer to run 75ft of wire to a outside plug.

Can you post more details on the install, I don't normally handle electric stuff, my friend does. He said he thought he'd have to cut the power at the box to install it, then it goes between the box and the breaker box, is that true?

Oh wait, just saw it came with a DVD? That is sick, how much was your model, now you got me real interested in something like this.

Maybe posting a few more details would be awesome. My current house wouldn't really be a value, lost power twice in 6 years for less than 4 hrs each time, but future when we are in the country I definitely want one.

well, I've shifted my focus to finding a decent extension cord for the time being.

Internet says 10 gauge is ideal, but that seems like overkill for a 20 amp generator.

12 gauge, 3-prong, and 50 foot sound about right? Can I plug that into a power strip at the end, or does that defeat the purpose of running the higher gauge cord?

I'm thinking for tire warmers, and for use during a power outage.

yeah, contractor grade is like the twist-lock style.

I believe most 'cheap' extension cords are 16 gauge, so 12 is a significant improvement.

for the track, I want the ability to turn off the power strip as a means of ensuring I don't burn out my warmers.

for power outages, I would just run the power strip in near the fridge, and then run extension cords from the power strip for anything else I wanted to power. Nothing else will be drawing that high of a load though, so the voltage drop wouldn't be much of an issue as far as I can tell.

I just don't know enough about this to know if I would hurt the generator, or create a fire hazard by running a lower gauge cord.

this is what i'm looking at http://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-65050-50-Foot-Extension/dp/B002HWRS6S

It wouldn't hurt the genny, the cord will just get hot, then you know it's not big enough lol.

Mine is blue with a black strip running on it and some like european brand I think, I forget but it's nice. 12 gauge should be plenty I'd think. And that is about what I paid for mine too actually so ya, grab that bad boy.