mismatching primer.

RSparky

I've been told it's not a big deal, but I'm just curious what the mob thinks.

I've got my sharkskinz pieces, and they're pre-primered. Then my tail pieces, which are sanded and ready to be primered, and my new front fender, fresh out of the mold. Then, of course, the shiny red tank with a dent in it that needs sanded, puttied and sealed(?). Then primered...

It's all in different stages right now. But, my question is if i should re-prime my two sharkskinz pieces, or just prime the rest in a similar gray, and hope it matches?

I would prime all the same makes for an easier job. Depends on what your looking for but I prefer a certain primer that works well with the types of paint I use. I would scuff all with 400 and prime. Depending on how you paint might want to scuff again with 400-600. Don't go any high than 600 or risk adhesion issues. Sometimes 400 will leave sanding marks.

Sharks aren't bad but I always re-sand and prime for fear of oils and other contaminants on the bodywork. Nothing like finding an issue after the base coat dries