electrical issue, gauge lights stay on and wont start.

scottie.harris

Ok i rode my bike to my parents and my dad noticed the gauge lights stay lit. I turned the key on and the tail light turned on and i started the bike, turned the key to off and the bike still ran. Then on, hit the kill switch and off. The gauge lights will not turn off but the key switch controls the head and tail lights. I then tried to leave for home and the bike would turn over but not start. Is this the key switch going bad? I checked all the fuses and didnt find any melted wires. Any help is appreciated.

Yeah, the ignition switch would be my first guess too. Basically a short or open somewhere. If it's not the ignition switch, you'll have to start tracing where it's gone wrong.

It used to be that a bunch of weight on the key in the ignition switch would pretty much destroy an ignition switch much faster. Don't know if that is still true.

Other than trying some contact cleaner in the ignition switch, it's pretty much component replacement to see what happens. Right now tracing circuits would probably only point back at the ignition switch anyway. At 17 years old, a new ignition switch would be kinda nice.

• 1 month later...