Alpinestars S-MX Plus (2011)

BDBGoalie

DSCN1631.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1633.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1634.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1635.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1636.JPG?gl=US

$325 (September 2011)

I bought these to replace a set of Sidis that were too small for me.

They are designed like a normal race boot, but include a fixed inner boot with a lacing system.

The comfort on these things is awesome. Absolutely awesome. The interior is really cushy and comfortable. The boot lacing makes your foot very secure but not overly tight or pinching. It feels like a tennis shoe on the inside.

The exterior is armored and had joint stiffening where needed. They give a little flex in the ankles for shifting/braking, but little to no side to side movement.

When I went down on the Dragon, the swingarm came down on my leg. I had a calf injury from where the spool hit me, but the rest of my lower leg was fine. I had a slightly bruised foot. I definately feel that if I had not been wearing these (Or another race level boot) I would have had more serious injuries.

The boots held up great. Minor scratches but nothing functional. You can't even really tell unless you look close.

The venting also works really well. If you tuck you foot in, you won't catch a huge amount of air, but it will still breath. Tilt it out a bit and they flow really well.

Two downsides. My left book squeaks when I walk. No idea why. The right does not. It has done so before and after the crash.

The toe sliders are a new design for 2011, and they come off a bit easier.

****IF you buy the 2011 S-MX Plus, you will not find replacement sliders online******

The only sliders sold were for the old models. I searched for like a month before I finally broke down and called Alpinestars.

However when I called Alpinestars they turned this downside into a positive. I asked to order a set of sliders because I lost one. They forwarded me to the warranty department, took my information, and shipped me a set for free. I never even asked, and they sure wouldn't let me pay for it.

So a big thumbs up to Alpinestars for their excellent customer service!!

Overall, I love these boots. They are so comfortable I wear they whenever I ride. Crash tested and approved. :) I will update this after the trackday on the 12th.

Edited by BDBGoalie
Updated Pictures

• 2 weeks later...