Man Critical After Southeast Side Motorcycle Crash

Scruit

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/04/29/columbus-southeast-side-motorcycle-crash.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - One man was taken to the hospital in critical condition after a motorcycle crash on Sunday evening.

Police responded to a crash involving a motorcycle and a car about 7:15 p.m. at Refugee Rd. and Courtright Rd. on the southeast side, 10TV News reported.

Witnesses said that the motorcycle was traveling on Refugee Road when it crashed into a car turning left from Refugee Road onto Courtright Road

The motorcycle driver was taken to an area hospital in critical condition.

Left-turning into a motorcycle should result in an automatic one year suspension on top of any other penalties. :mad:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/04/29/columbus-southeast-side-motorcycle-crash.html

Left-turning into a motorcycle should result in an automatic one year suspension on top of any other penalties. :mad:

Just to be a Devil's advocate, after seeing that bike and car, the bike looked to have hit the car almost head on. It also had the front end of the bike completely ripped off...

Now, I am not familiar with the intersection nor the speed limit there so, I will not comment, but where the bike hit, it looked to me that it was POSSIBLE that the car was turned and the bike was flying at a higher rate of speed. Not blaming anyone, but I don't like to see posts where you assume with almost zero information that the car driver should be thrown in the slammer and beat to death.

You might need some more info. I know it says the bike was hit by the car turning left, but again... I have seen guys running fast down the road and when the car driver looks, they see nothing, they may even look again and due to the rate of approach, might have saw the distance and pulled out. If the bike was flying, distance was mis judged and the accident happened...

Now, it very well could be they didn't see them and pulled out and was totally the car driver error and yes, should be issued citation and let the law handle it... I didn't see anything regarding citations so, we have zero knowledge and you are jumping to conclusions...

Yeah, drivers really work my last nerve. Especially the occational woman swerveing into my lane, because of looking into the mirror putting on makeup! Just saying!!!

True, but there are PLENTY of motorcyclists that ride like total idiots as well. I had a kid the other day that thought passing in the Emergency Lane made a lot of sense. He almost ass packed a semi because he made a bad decision when to pull into the slow lane again...

People like that make me pissed. I am used to stupid car drivers. Deal with them daily and expect them to be the same with being on a bike. The problem is that the bike doesn't have a chance... But, these idiots on bikes burn my ass because they give us all a bad name...

Just to be a Devil's advocate, after seeing that bike and car, the bike looked to have hit the car almost head on. It also had the front end of the bike completely ripped off...

Where did you see that? I don't see any pictures or video with the story.

Where did you see that? I don't see any pictures or video with the story.

Saw the story on the news last night. Was a CBR. Front of car was "V" shaped after being hit. Cannot imagine it was simply a pulled out as it would have most likely been on the Driver's side of the car...

Now, who is to say that the news channels didn't have the right pics, but that was Channel 4 and WBNS...

Saw the story on the news last night. Was a CBR. Front of car was "V" shaped after being hit. Cannot imagine it was simply a pulled out as it would have most likely been on the Driver's side of the car...

Now, who is to say that the news channels didn't have the right pics, but that was Channel 4 and WBNS...

The story I read was that the motorbike was on refugee road, the car was also on refugee road, and the car turned left into the path of the bike.

A v-indentation in the front of the car indicates that the car turned while the bike was VERY close to the car. If the biker was further back then the impact would tend to be on the passenger side of the car.

The story I read was that the motorbike was on refugee road, the car was also on refugee road, and the car turned left into the path of the bike.

A v-indentation in the front of the car indicates that the car turned while the bike was VERY close to the car. If the biker was further back then the impact would tend to be on the passenger side of the car.

Ahhh... I thought they made it sound like the car turned out in front of the bike. Which is really the case either way, but your idea makes sense. Again, though as to not jump down the throats of car drivers everywhere, we do not know the situation. Anyone know the speed on Refugee?

The front was completely torn off the CBR...

Ahhh... I thought they made it sound like the car turned out in front of the bike. Which is really the case either way, but your idea makes sense. Again, though as to not jump down the throats of car drivers everywhere, we do not know the situation. Anyone know the speed on Refugee?

The front was completely torn off the CBR...

Can't comment on the bike's speed. I will say that the further back on the car you hit, the more time passed between the car starting the turn and the impact. Hitting the front of the car means that almost no time passed between the driver starting the turn and the bike hitting.

**This is all speculation**

It generally takes a car about 3-4 seconds for a car to make a left turn from stopped. Refugee road at Courtright is a straight-as-a-die 5-lane road (2 east, 2 west and a turn lane) with no visual barriers and visibility for at least half-a-mile. For him to hit the center from I will assume he was in the left lane (but the time she crossed the right lane she would have been turned nearly broadside which would more likely result in a glancing impact with the front of the car).

Once she hit the gas she would be in his lane in under a second. The turn lane is immediately adjacent to the oncoming travel lane with no spacing between.

Even if he was doing 100mph, he would still be only about 145 feet from the intersection. Plainly visible in the bright sunlight at 7:15.

"He was speeding" is a common defense to a left-turn accident. There is an obscure section of ORC that states any car that is seeding has no right -of-way, however it may have been repealed because I can't find it any more - and I've personally witnessed a judge refuse to consider the oncoming car's speed unless they were not visible when the turn started.

Again, Refugee road is straight as a die with visibility for half a mile each way. For the bike to be speeding enough to be out of visible range when the driver started to turn the bike would have to be doing nearly 2,000 mph.

**That was all speculation**

I'm interested in pulling that police report when it's filed.

Again, though as to not jump down the throats of car drivers everywhere, we do not know the situation

It is always wise to keep an open mind. I came across an accident near my home where a Durange had its passenger door caved in and a motorbike has its front wheel/forks crushed into the engine. The vehicles were not at final resting position (lined up on shoulder) so it wasn't clear what had happened. This was in an intersection notorious for impatient left-turners taking risks.

Seeing the door caved in and damaged forks I immediately assumed the Durango turned left in front of the bike. When the police report was filed

I finally saw that the biker had simply missed the stop sign and emerged from the sidestreet onto the cross street and right into the SUV's door.

Yeah, things aren't always as they seem.