tl 1000s??

Gixxus Christ!

Did he disclose why the tanks blue and body panels are red? Just curious

because there was a recall on the 97 tanks that was never done till recently and they could not locate him a red one

Ok, here's the real deal no-shitter on the bike after getting it home and really getting into it. Nothing here is meant to reflect badly upon biker boy what so ever.

The bike does not have stock clip-ons, it has heli bars, which is a plus. The ” choke” lever does not operate at all, this was a surprise. Not sure if its because of the heli bars or if there is some deeper issue.

The headlight is pretty much aimed at the ground. Can't see more than 15 or 20 ft at night without using high beams. The headlight assy also feels loose in the fairing.

after spending hours with a sack of old socks and a bottle of bike BRITE, the rims are not only clean but flawless. They look awesome.

The back wheel is not adjusted properly for straightness or chain tension.

The chain is pretty shot. Was bone dry and a bit rusty and shows a ton of side to side wear (probably from the back wheel being crooked)

Couldn't find any fluid leaks, all fluids are topped up and the right color.

front end was caked in dead bugs.... I wash my bikes at least once a week, just saying.

Windshield is cracked, should have noticed, but was not disclosed to me.

Came with swingarm spools!

All in all its a good bike, there are various other minor issues you would expect with a 15 yr old bike. The frame is clean and after a wash and wax she looks good. If a balls-out efi liter-class sport bike wasn't exactly what I was looking for I wouldn't have paid and traded what I did for it, but I'm happy with it for sure, and expect to put money into any used bike I buy.

Ill help you out on some of these things once I get home on my computer and send u some links

because there was a recall on the 97 tanks that was never done till recently and they could not locate him a red one

Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing something about all that - forgot what the problem was with the tanks though, was it vent related? Like the pump drawing it into vaccuum or something?

Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing something about all that - forgot what the problem was with the tanks though, was it vent related? Like the pump drawing it into vaccuum or something?

no, the bottom of the tanks where the fuel pump plate is mounted wasnt ridged enough to not bend/wrap then leaked when the pump bolts were tightened. So they reinforced the bottom of the tank with thicker metal and suport, but the entire tank had to be replaced.

The bike does not have stock clip-ons, it has heli bars, which is a plus. .

I have the Helis too i love them, i also have my stockers on the shelf

The ” choke” lever does not operate at all, this was a surprise. Not sure if its because of the heli bars or if there is some deeper issue. .

Yea it not relly a choke since its FI, they call it a high idle lever, if you want to fix it most likley(but you dont really need it) it is the cable(i had to replace mine too)if it is the cable dont force it because it will stick on you and that will really suck it is #17 on this diagram and about $30, if the cable is the problem http://www.mid-ohio.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=97584&category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=1997&fveh=2178

The headlight is pretty much aimed at the ground. Can't see more than 15 or 20 ft at night without using high beams. The headlight assy also feels loose in the fairing.

cant help you there you will just have to investigate

Windshield is cracked, should have noticed, but was not disclosed to me.

Zero Gravity Double Bubble FTW!!!! about $100 but worth every penny

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Gravity-Double-Bubble-Windscreen-Light-Smoke-Suzuki-TL1000S-1997-2001-/221021259478?hash=item3375e4c6d6&item=221021259478&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The back wheel is not adjusted properly for straightness or chain tension.

The chain is pretty shot. Was bone dry and a bit rusty and shows a ton of side to side wear (probably from the back wheel being crooked)

i would take care of this first off. Here is a link to a TL group buy on a driven set you cant really beat the price and speedking is a good dude to work with, i have this on mine. They are $185 shipped(i believe)

http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77607

If you cant swing that price right now i have my stocker chain and sprockets on the shelf that is still in good shape with about 35,000 miles on them id be willing to sell fairly cheap to get you by

Edited by 2talltim

Changing out that Rotary Dampener makes a night and day difference. My bro switched out with an Ohlins he picked up and it made the TLS handle so much nicer. Congrats on the trade. I think your gonna love it.

Id like to have one just cant bring myself to spend the moolla. There is accually a mod i can do to the damper that is supposed to help too.

TIM: after a week of riding I absolutly love this bike. Downloaded the service and owners manuals off tlplanet, restored my suspenders to factory and feels good. One thing I noticed is on the rear damper the adjustment screws were showing signs of fluid weeping past them. Not a ton of fluid but the screws are wet. After cleaning, adjusting and lubing the chain it seems and sounds ok. Would love to meet up and pick your brain.

TIM: after a week of riding I absolutly love this bike. Downloaded the service and owners manuals off tlplanet, restored my suspenders to factory and feels good. One thing I noticed is on the rear damper the adjustment screws were showing signs of fluid weeping past them. Not a ton of fluid but the screws are wet. After cleaning, adjusting and lubing the chain it seems and sounds ok. Would love to meet up and pick your brain.

Yea we can hook up for a ride somtime. I've accually been scared to mess the that rear damper, I've heard too may horror stories about the problems with those things. So with mine I'm leaving well enough alone for now, there is a how to on how to rebuild and make them better but I said I'm a little timid. Can't really say I've looked too close at the screws on it, now I wanna go look when I get home..lol. Yea I've learned a lot about my bike over the years one of the reason i like it so much. Kinda strang its not the fastest, or the smoothest, or the prettiest, or the greatest handleing but there is somthing about it you just can give it up.