Exhaust packing?

LINK

What have others used, with success of course, outside of a repacking kit?

This is a custom (DIY) build, so I am trying to avoid a mistake the first time...

I know the repacking kits are not expensive, and I am not against using one, but I can not find one local, and I would like to do it today, so ordering is not an option.

Anything at Lowes, Menards, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Meijer work without burning out in no time?

I've heard of people using coarse steel wool not the fine shit because it's flammable and seen write up someone used those copper scouring pads (chore boy). But I don't know if anything will hold up as long as actual muffler packing.

I'd assume local bike shops would ( or should ) carry some repacking kits for dirtbike exhausts? May need to buy a couple of them to ensure your silencer gets packed full, but they're relatively inexpensive and would work fine ( at least for a while )

I believe Brocks uses steel packing, but I don't know the details as far as type

What's the specific indicator that a muffler needs repacking?

Exhaust becomes louder than usual, and you could see a performance loss down low.

Mine I know needs some sort of wrap, it is obnoxiously loud, but that was from new, nearly a true straight through exhaust.

I bought some MSR packing (pillow type), it was no help, still way to loud. Maybe a smaller baffle with more packing will work?

Back to the stock exhaust on the Speed Triple for now.

My uncle and I were just talking about this yesterday because his 01 RM 250 is way louder than mine even though we have the same pipe (different silencer though) and he said he repacks his with Fiber glass insulation. takes about 2 8' pieces and a dowel rod and packs it in. I personally think that its probably not the best idea, although ive seen fiberglass exhaust packing. I also think that he packs it too tight but I only have about a half hour on my dirt bike so what do I know....

Have you used the silent sport? Particularly the premium? It's not a wrap, but like shredded newspaper. Does it just get packed in?

Have an Area P exhaust and Silent Sport is what they use exclusively, didnt realize it wasn't a wrap. I know that allot of dirtbike exhausts get packed with it too, wrap or not it is premium shit.