Painting a helmet

VanDy

I'm too cheap to buy a new helmet when mine is only a year old and never down. However, it's mostly white and my 1 piece is black.. Anybody ever painted their helmet?

Will be a flat black, simple and classy :)

I plan on taping off the snell\DOT sticker, so it's still visible.

I know to use fine grit sandpaper to scuff the surface to help the new paint adhere, will prime too. Any other tips? Thanks guys and gals!

-VanDy

go matte white then take a sharpie to it, and draw something sweet. Then clear coat.

Here's a pic of the helmet.

2909bebb.jpg

I like the design, wanted the black model, but settled for this one, might go matte black and find someone that can pin stripe :)

-VanDy

Painted my first helmet flat black and took some silver and have it a speckled look. Didn't sand anything but it was already a flat color with no clear coat. Didn't look great but it was ok, don't have any pics and I gave it to the guy who bought my last bike since he didn't have one

• 2 weeks later...

I've painted a few of helmets and they turned out great, just take your time and prep it well.

I don't know much about todays paints but I'll show a little age here, I used Dupont Lucite on one and Centari on a couple more.

You do realize the official stance of the helmet manufacturer is NEVER paint their helmet... it may void any warranty they have...

@Sparky:

The helmet manufacturers are just covering their legal behinds... most paints won't do a thing to hurt your helmet.

still, paint at your own risk.

I'm too cheap to buy a new helmet when mine is only a year old and never down. However, it's mostly white and my 1 piece is black.. Anybody ever painted their helmet?

Will be a flat black, simple and classy :)

I plan on taping off the snell\DOT sticker, so it's still visible.

I know to use fine grit sandpaper to scuff the surface to help the new paint adhere, will prime too. Any other tips? Thanks guys and gals!

-VanDy

BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS! I use to be a tech rep for the largest coatings company in the world. One of my customers painted all of the college and professional football helmets, and I know for a fact a large number of paint brands deteriorate the shells of helmets. It may look fine, but the structure can be extremely compromised.

Scuff it with redscotch bright real good...... Go to a TSC ( tractor supply) or some such place n get the flat black. Youll need a spray gun...... Doesnt have to be anythng special. Put on 3 nice coats..... Go easy so you dont run it. Will have a really decent finish that fairly durable. I did this to a eclipse i had and power washed it twice a week. Truthfully.... If painting a lid compromises the shell.... They need to build better helmets. The product isnt wet but for a very short period of time. If this was true then when i did simple dash parts in a car they would turn into noodles........

I used to be a lab tech working for the 2nd largest paint and coatings company in the world, and I've never seen any of the consumer grade solvents have any appreciable effect on crosslinked polymers used in motorcycle helmets once they are cured...

This includes urethanes, and polyesters...

Now if you soak the shell in acetone or pm acetate for hours, you might soften it up... this is not the case when painting...

Edited by magley64

I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying be careful. I have watched the testing process on helmets and saw the failures first hand. I have painted helmets for people before, but my head is worth more than a cheap paint job (to me anyway).

BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS! I use to be a tech rep for the largest coatings company in the world. One of my customers painted all of the college and professional football helmets, and I know for a fact a large number of paint brands deteriorate the shells of helmets. It may look fine, but the structure can be extremely compromised.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying be careful. I have watched the testing process on helmets and saw the failures first hand. I have painted helmets for people before, but my head is worth more than a cheap paint job (to me anyway).

I am curious about this. I know some teams (like Notre Dame) who paint their helmets weekly and therefore would be very careful about something like this. Can you please expound on what chemicals, brands, and testing procedures that you witnessed and which ones caused failures?

I am curious about this. I know some teams (like Notre Dame) who paint their helmets weekly and therefore would be very careful about something like this. Can you please expound on what chemicals, brands, and testing procedures that you witnessed and which ones caused failures?

I worked for Akzo Nobel (Sikkens). When I left there, there were only 2been paint manufacturers that were able to pass Riddell's testing. They were Sikkens and some industrial coating from ICI. Our system was the original Autobase system that became the Lessonal line when Autobase II came out. Riddell used a drop test (which was the standard for the industry). The drop test consisted of a series of controlled drops which had a weighted "head" raised to 3 feet then dropped. The helmet was then raised and dropped until the helmet failed. Once a failure occurred, the crack was measured and a severity of failure was determined.

Like I said, it has been a few years since I left, so things may have changed. I am sure there is someone from All American on here that can give more information.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add that I have never heard of any team repainting their helmets weekly. It is a very time consuming process. Also, if I am not mistaken, they take the helmets out of service after 3 referbs.

Edited by FZRMatt

Wait, you're talking about football helmets?

I did some Dev work for PPG over the past 2 years, and like i said, even the most aggressive solvents took some soaking to do any appreciable softening to crosslinked polymers. (urethanes and polyesters), and most of those hardened right back up once the solvent vaporized.

I used to be a lab tech working for the 2nd largest paint and coatings company in the world, and I've never seen any of the consumer grade solvents have any appreciable effect on crosslinked polymers used in motorcycle helmets once they are cured...

This includes urethanes, and polyesters...

Now if you soak the shell in acetone or pm acetate for hours, you might soften it up... this is not the case when painting...

Well I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I say fuck it do what you want. :rolleyes:

Edited by cmh_sprint