fork seals

standout

Went in the garage sunday and there is a small puddle under my forks. Guess it's time for new seals. I have a track day in 11 days and between work and other commitments i, more than likely, won't be able to do it myself. Any suggestions on where to take it or anyone want to assist or have the tools (spring compressor and seal driver I have all the standard hand tools needed) to help out. It's an 04 600rr with 05 inverted forks. I am certainly mechanically inclined and have read a pretty good write up on 600rr.net but never having done this and probably not having any time to test it out before pushing the bike hard on the track i would prefer help from someone thats done it before. The only day i can do it is this coming sunday. I pm'd hoblick not being sure if he does this but havent gotten a response yet. Called pegram service center and they want $200 off the bike plus seals. I think thats a bit much off the bike. Any suggestions or helping hands would be great. Thanks

Try using a seal cleaner or strip of 35mm camera film' date=' first.

[/quote']

I have done this and it works very well! Granted it has to just be dirt in the seal and not really worn out for this to work but its worth a shot.

Get me this TFSC 01 (to keep) and I'll do your seals. I don't have access to quality tools anymore.

http://www.racetech.com/page/id/70

P.S. "rusty 848"'s buddy "Brian" was doing suspension for ridiculously low prices somewhere in the Columbus area awhile back. Do a search, maybe that guy is still around.

Edited by brn6604
P.S.

Called a few more places but I really don't trust other people with my things. Iron pony was actually the cheapest off the bike at 117 with bringing in my own seals and that's a great price. Decided to give it a go myself still. Got the forks off tonight and plan on taking them into work tomorrow to disassemble. After hearing about the bushings an doing a little more searching it seems best to replace them while I'm in there. Pretty sure I can "adapt" some automotive tools to do what I need to do. between the chitons manual and the write up on rr.net I'm pretty sure I can do it. It's just finding the down time while at work.

Edited by standout