Found the best road EVER!!!!

Dubguy85

“Hey wanna go ride with me this weekend? I know this awesome road about an hour from here. It’s super twisty! You can follow me around and we’ll ride well within our limits. Get this too: It’s one-way so there’s never any oncoming traffic; they actually clean and maintain this section of road (never oil on it or dust); for some weird reason they’ve moved back all the mail boxes, telephone poles, guard rails and trees back. Also this road doubles back on itself fairly quickly so you’ll get used to hitting the same curves over and over again and will find a favorite one fast! PLUS I’ve never seen a cop on it AND for some weird reason there’s the people that stand about every 200 yards with radios waiting to call an ambulance that hangs out at the beginning of the road just in case something happens!”

Tell me you wouldn’t want to go ride that road with me all day long! And at the end of that day you’ll know your limits and the limits of that bike inside and out! You’ll be prepared for nearly anything! THATS WHAT A TRACK DAY IS!

Here’s a few of my personal thoughts on trackdays for street riders:

You should ride the bike at the that you ride everyday. You should learn the limitations of that bike and what you can and can’t do on that bike. When you come around the corner to a school bus full of nuns doing a u-turn you’re not going to be in the Ferrari you rented for the track. You’re going to be in the 1972 Buick LeMans you drive back and forth to work! Maybe you should learn how it works in all types of situations. And if you find out that ol Buick can’t do what you need it to do then it’s time to upgrade it or swap it out.

If you’re going to start racing then certainly get you a track bike. But if not then you need to be out there on your cruiser, your touring bike, your dual-sport! Remember it’s just a safe, nice road!

Track days should only be ridden at 80%. No harder. That will leave 20% in reserve for holy-crapedness, oops, “well that was too deep”, “was that brake marker 4 or 5?”, front end slideys, etc.

However after a day of riding that hard your new 80% will be where your old 120% was. But yet you’ll still only be riding at 80%! I’ll give you a second to do that math. What I’m saying is if you chill out and don’t try and ride as hard as you can you’ll learn more and you’ll progress quicker and end up at a level past the hardest you could have ever ridden. Plus you’ll have a lot more fun.

Don’t get suckered into a race. You’ll get passed. It will take a little bit of self control to not think “why just who do they think they are?” It’s not a race. When someone in front of you is holding you up in the turns then motors away on the straight-aways then parks it in the entry to the next turn: its not a race. In situations like this just take a quick cool down pass through hot-pit, lift your visor, take a breath then head back out!

Shit happens: Even after me saying all this someone will ride over their head, someone will get taken out, someone will get suckered into a race, someone will… the possibilities are limitless. But wouldn’t you rather it happen at a track with corner workers and an ambulance than in the mountains with guardrails? Quick side note: theres an "unwritten" rule at the track: everyone takes care of their own stuff. That way there's no arguing blame.

Few things in the world are cooler than zinging into a turn with half a dozen of your friends and then hanging out in the pits afterwards exchanging tips about body positioning, lines and helping work on one another’s bikes.

So next time there is a trackday, I'd like to see you out there!

Watch that video one of our friends made and tell me that doesn't look like fun!

Stolen from

• Upvote 1

Dammit I've been using the excuse I don't have a track worthy bike as an excuse for years. You mean I should just take the bags off the ulysses and do a track day?

My father rides a 2008 kawi Concourse and has done a trackday on it...He even left the bags on.

Is that Road Atlanta?

No, that track was Little Tally, or Talladega Gran Prix Raceway just outside of Talladega, AL.

You know, the town more famous for the big Nascar track.

For all those posting up about next year, why not this year? I think Dubguy even offered up to rent out a track for the OR rider guys again:D

beaver is next weekend and many more this year (motoseries), and i'm sure there are plenty of other track day orgs holding events in the near future. they ALL rent leathers, and novice bike prep is a 10 minute job.

it is SOOOO easy guys (it only SEEMS intimidating at first), just do it. the best bike-related purchase I've made outside of the bike itself.

Andy man i love you... ALL HOMO

but to add to it.. seriously people.. just about any bike is capable to ride a track day.. with VERY minimal prep... the stuff you could do in a few hrs. you dont need full leathers... textile jackets and pants work for most orgs at the novice level as long as they zip 3/4 at the waist...

like the post said... nothing out there to distract or take away from the FUN of riding your bike on a sweet twisty road. plus the added benifit of as much safety aspects in place as you could ever hope for!

do it just for saying you tried it once...

it is SOOOO easy guys (it only SEEMS intimidating at first), just do it. the best bike-related purchase I've made outside of the bike itself.

CAUTION: don't do it unless you are willing to give away all your extra money (and even non-extra). it will suck you in. after your first track day, one of two things will happen: you'll be head over heels in love wondering why its taken so long to do it and you'll become obsessed, or, you'll realize that you're a dilettante.

Yea, I think Mido is the only place around here with the age limit.

As for people needing leathers, all orgs will rent them out.

It's a ton of fun and you can hang out with a bunch of really nice people (dubguy and twiztedrabbit will probably be there too).

Done two so far (both of them on an adventure-kitted DL1000), and loved it and learned a shit ton more than I ever would have on the street. I recommend it to everyone who wants to improve as a rider.

That said, it's expensive as hell. That's the only reason I don't keep doing it. It's a matter of your interest and income I suppose, but it's not fun enough to make up for the awesome. At least for me, riding offroad is the same type of thrill and I can do that at a fraction of the cost with more freedom.

Edited by swingset