helmets are bad? lol

Dying Shadow

So i pulled in to walmart today parked my bike and did my business. When i came out a big older gentleman looked at me as i put on my fullface helmet then said, how much longer till you can loose that. I was confused and said what? Then he said i hate those thing, everyone i know that died never died from head injury. I was quite amazed, ooh he was riding a Harley. Thats the first that has happened.

Good friend of mine, yes rides Harleys, will only wear half helmets. His reasoning is a full face is heavy and the extra weight will cause the head to move more uncontrollably breaking the neck. The other reason is the chin guard could act like a lever snapping the head back and breaking the neck.

There are a few sites against helmets with their arguments as to why they are bad... here is one: http://www.bikersrights.com/helmets.html

Not saying I agree or disagree, but there ya go.

I'm for helmets, against mandating to wear them. But that's a different thread.

• Upvote 1

Good friend of mine, yes rides Harleys, will only wear half helmets. His reasoning is a full face is heavy and the extra weight will cause the head to move more uncontrollably breaking the neck. The other reason is the chin guard could act like a lever snapping the head back and breaking the neck.

both baloney arguments.... but his choice...

any impact violent enough to make your neck shake to the point of breaking your neck due to the added stress of a modern composite helmet is a violent enough crash to crush your skull.

and the face guard is the most important part of the helmet as it's the part most likely to suffer damage in a crash.

I'm for helmets, against mandating to wear them. But that's a different thread.

ditto

Edited by magley64

I did not no this, ill still stick with my full face tho.

Your friend is misinformed as you have probably tried to tell him.

And I can personally attest by experience (frontal and back contact on the helmet with the asphalt) that a full-face will not do any of those during a high speed crash if worn properly.

I wear mine to hold my face shield, just in case of rain or grasshoppers. - :)

IMG_1510.jpg

I can't even read the thread! Your signature.. so distracting.. :popcorn:
Your right about the sig.

I need a kitchen appliance like that to make me sammiches - :D

Edited by Strictly Street

lol that is seriously the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

I wish these blundering morons would tell the real reason why they don't wear a helmet

"Because they don't like them"

Instead of trying to make up some ridiculous excuse to justify their stupidity. I like to call these folks "Meat-head" Dead from the neck up..

Seems that people can rationalize just about anything. Just because they have some warped website backing them up doesn't make them correct. A guy was extolling the virtues of running a car tire on the rear of his motorcycle to me just the other night.