Pics of the second storm-July1

ReconRat

Yeah, that one got me. No power, lots of trees down. Hit by microburst. I was standing outside watching, and I got a little jumpy. Stuff was breaking and falling all around me. Wasn't sure which way to run. Then the nearest power line pole decided to spark off and go BURRRZZZZZZTTTT-BOOOMMMMPOP. And this is just a wire, there's no transformer there. I'm looking right at it. I jumped straight off the ground and ducked at the same time. Nice trick. Two limbs come off a tree down the road, and slap the street hard. Dead limbs falling behind me. Trees and parts of trees start falling in the creek out back. And then I hear it, Slow motion cracking and splintering of that huge tree on the other side of the creek. It breaks about 12 feet off the ground. It goes down. It takes 20-25 seconds to fall. It fell in my neighbor's backyard, squishing the chain link fence but sparing everything else. It takes down lots of other stuff on it's way down. Some falls in my backyard, but not too bad. Still will take a few days to clear just that. I can't cut up and remove the big one, it's two or two and a half feet in diameter at the base. Some of the limbs are a foot in diameter. Rather heavy. We called it the raccoon tree, since it was a bit hollowed out by raccoons for a den. Yeah, that's right where it broke in half.

That's a backyard. It's completely full of fallen tree.

2012-07-01_18-42-27_557.jpg

2012-07-02_06-28-47_234.jpg

And the power was out before this, for a lot of the area. Now it's out twice for those. The major outage has to be repaired before the minor outages can be repaired. This is going to take a while.

Ok, power came on for about 30 seconds on Monday night. So looks good. Then the power did come on for the whole neighborhood, but not me. About 8 houses were without, and I can see another batch in the next block. The reverse of what was expected. Argh.

Several hours of chainsaw and hacking, the crap is out of the backyard. Mostly.