Salvage inspection w/ full exhaust?

john749

I crashed my track bike a couple of years ago and bought it back from the insurance company. I put it back to stock but don't have the original exhaust. Right now, it is running a full Akropovic system which doesn't have a cat and is rated at 105db.

Is this something I should worry about? All my friends say they're just looking for stolen parts and want to see reciepts. Of course none of them have actually gone through the process.

I have a couple of weeks before the inspection but I really don't want to have to source a stock exhaust if I don't have to.

Thanks

I have done a salvage inspection before. Just write a letter stating that it was your bike and you bought it back, list any parts that you bought and where you got them, even if its eBay, any receipts you might have, and then get it notorized. You should be good. Mostly they'll just be checking vin #s and stuff.

Took a car through salvage inspection, never a bike though. As stated above, they check vin a few places and quality of repairs and sent me on my way. Inspection took like 5-10 mins. I'd imagine the process is similar for bikes.

Thanks for the info. I really was not looking forward to switching the exhaust just to turn around and do it again after the inspection. I would be especially bummed if I did the work and they never even gave it a second glance.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the inspection today. All went well. Thanks crazy_red for taking the time to call me and answer some questions. The process was pretty straight forward and easy.

Things I was worried about:

1. I had a full Akropovic race exhaust (loud) that did away with the cat.

The inspector never even gave it a second glance or asked any questions about the cat. I didn't even start the bike during the inspection. Not even to check turn signals/safety equipment. I only turned the key so he could verify the mileage.

2. I had shagged race tires (not slick) with taped on wheel weights. I tried to buy some stick on wheel weights but couldn't find them last minute.

Not a word.

3. The bike was made into a track bike shortly after purchase and all the stock bodywork, cases and other misc items were removed/placed in storage. I didn't have receipts for these items or for any upgrades for obvious reasons.

This was the only problem I encountered. I explained the situation at least three times and the inspector just wasn't getting it and was getting a little agitated. He kept pointing to things that I "had to have replaced". I'm not sure what I said but he finally relented with "hmph...thats different".

Primarily, they were checking serial numbers and comparing receipts against what should have been damaged. They asked specific questions about what repairs I made and what parts were purchased.

After the inspection, I waited while the inspector checked all the serial numbers. I had receipts for everything that I purchased but I'm not sure if he ever looked at them.