kimbo fight i have never seen...

kawi kid

• 2 weeks later...
This is kimbo's frist officall MMA fight.The fight actually starts at the 3:15 markbut it was over before the fight started.Cantrell was beaten by Kimbo's reputation and intimidation.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8111849117750226257

Yeah Cantrell isn't a great fighter and was on a 4 loss streak before that fight. They practically handed Kimbo that win.

this is his mma debut i guess..... never seen a guy tap out from just getting punced lol!!

more than likely a repost!!!!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8111849117750226257

Happens occasionally. There was a guy that tapped to strikes Saturday night here in Dayton. Tapping to strikes is more impressive than getting KO'd. The guy Saturday could take a beating but was in serious pain and had a ton of blood pouring from his nose which was probably broken.

This fight though I don't think was officially a pro fight.

His last fight was against Tank Abbot last month. That was also a joke. Tank is old school and a pretty tough guy, but he's been around for ages, he's 42/43 and has never really been that good a fighter.

I guess Kimbo has been training up a storm so it'll be nice to see them put him up against someone real instead of just continuing to try and build hype around him.

triumphunited FTW

lol Don't know about FTW. Just another friggin MMA clothing company sponsoring people. Getting Bas is cool, signing Kimbo is gay. I guess they have the whole spectrum covered at this point. I think I have one of their shirts around here somewhere so I guess I can't talk too much shit.

Yeah May 31 EliteXC. It's cool to see MMA get that kind of exposure on a network like CBS.

Yeah. I would have rather had a different fighter to introduce the sport to the general population. Kimbo is a good fighter but everytime they claim he is an "internet fighting sensation" I cringe.

that company was started by Jason 'mayhem' Miller I believe...

One of the former owners of Throwdown broke off and started it and I think MayheM is a partner. Most of these companies are started by fighters, camps or people associated with one of the two. It was cool the first 10 or so I saw I guess, after that they just all became another line. Some of them do put out some cool gear though.

Yeah. I would have rather had a different fighter to introduce the sport to the general population. Kimbo is a good fighter but everytime they claim he is an "internet fighting sensation" I cringe.

That's why I think he shouldn't be on CBS's premier, but I think they want to draw on the less informed crowd. Robbie Lawler I think is fighting that night also is one reason I'm watching. The other reason being to support the sport on a major network.

They aren't going to throw anybody in front of Kimbo who is going to take him to the ground and beat him. It's all tomato cans...they want to milk it for what it's worth. Kimbo had mad boxing skills, but dude hasn't shown he can kick or be serviceable on the ground yet. Tank Abbott? Come on..give me a break.

Kimbo means ticket sales right now...they aren't going to kill the goose that laid the egg just yet.

They aren't going to throw anybody in front of Kimbo who is going to take him to the ground and beat him. It's all tomato cans...they want to milk it for what it's worth. Kimbo had mad boxing skills, but dude hasn't shown he can kick or be serviceable on the ground yet. Tank Abbott? Come on..give me a break.

Kimbo means ticket sales right now...they aren't going to kill the goose that laid the egg just yet.

Exactly...:boxing:

Wise man! :cool:

Todd#43 would say you're perfect.:lol:

Give the guy a break, he has had 2 mma fights. Why do people want to throw him under the bus with only 2 mma fights? I agree with you that his ground game is suspect but no need to put him in a fight with a top 10 Heavyweight after only 2 fights.

Give the guy a break, he has had 2 mma fights. Why do people want to throw him under the bus with only 2 mma fights? I agree with you that his ground game is suspect but no need to put him in a fight with a top 10 Heavyweight after only 2 fights.

No one is saying throw him under the bus. What I'm saying is that his opponents are specifically picked to lose. He hasn;'t fought ANYONE who is at any decent level of competition. All other MMA fighters don't get that kind of courtesy. Kimbo is riding on his underground popularity. Nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is call it like it is..they are hand picking people to LOSE in front of Kimbo.

When was the last time Tank Abbott fought? Was he even considered a serious opponent? Give me a break...Tank? OMG. Ray mercer? Puh lease. Put him in front of ANY heavyweight..hell even a heavy weight with no professional fights under his belt, but that at least cross trains and you wouldn't hear a peep from me.

This is MMA...not boxing. And it's obvious that they are putting brawlers in front of him so he can knock them out (which he definitely excels at). Kimbo has the tool set to be a good fighter...he can judge distance very well, and he has good hands. It's just obvious to me that he's not a well rounded fighter yet.

If anyone can get him there...it's Bas, so I'm still hoping at some point we'll see some progress.

You all have the attitude that is wrong with MMA today!Kimbo has not fought a top competitor because he is not a top competitor YET! I am tired of seeing new guys come in and get a UFC title shot after only one or two matches. these competitors need to move up the ranks. Example, had Brock Lesner won his debut match he would have been first or second in line for a title match.My oponion he wil wipe the mat with his next oponent.

No one is saying throw him under the bus. What I'm saying is that his opponents are specifically picked to lose. He hasn;'t fought ANYONE who is at any decent level of competition. All other MMA fighters don't get that kind of courtesy. Kimbo is riding on his underground popularity. Nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is call it like it is..they are hand picking people to LOSE in front of Kimbo.

When was the last time Tank Abbott fought? Was he even considered a serious opponent? Give me a break...Tank? OMG. Ray mercer? Puh lease. Put him in front of ANY heavyweight..hell even a heavy weight with no professional fights under his belt, but that at least cross trains and you wouldn't hear a peep from me.

This is MMA...not boxing. And it's obvious that they are putting brawlers in front of him so he can knock them out (which he definitely excels at). Kimbo has the tool set to be a good fighter...he can judge distance very well, and he has good hands. It's just obvious to me that he's not a well rounded fighter yet.

If anyone can get him there...it's Bas, so I'm still hoping at some point we'll see some progress.

I say throw him under the bus. He's an internet made Pro. I went looking for his amateur record when I saw his first pro fight announced with EliteXC and couldn't find anything. There are a ton of MMA fighters (pro and am) grinding away in smaller venues all over the US who would love to have a shot at contract with EliteXC, HDNet, WEC, IFL, UFC... If he's good enough to go pro on that level, he's good enough to be put to the test early.

Bas is great and I hope he can do well with Kimbo, but in no way should he have the chances he has now. Last time I looked he had billing OVER Lawler for the CBS premier and that's just plain disrespectful.

You all have the attitude that is wrong with MMA today!Kimbo has not fought a top competitor because he is not a top competitor YET! I am tired of seeing new guys come in and get a UFC title shot after only one or two matches. these competitors need to move up the ranks. Example, had Brock Lesner won his debut match he would have been first or second in line for a title match.My oponion he wil wipe the mat with his next oponent.

Kimbo hasn't even earned the right to be called a pro. Lesner will be handed a can so the UFC can help keep their investment up. I'm almost willing to bet they thought Mir still didn't have it in him since his return to fighting and were caught off guard by the first round finish.

Apparently Kurt Angle has been training MMA somewhere so don't be surprised to see him pop up somewhere next.

You obviously haven't read anything above. No one is saying put him against a top competitor!! We are saying that he has been fighting sub-average fighters on PURPOSE! Again..Tank Abbott?? When has a pro fighter faced someone as washed up as Abbott or Mercer? I can see someone like Dan Severn, he purposely gives young fighters experience. BUT DAN HAS (HAD)SKILLS. He has a ground game and can strike. He is cross trained.

The Lesnar situation is totally different..that should have never happened. UFC threw him under the bus..he didn't deserve that fight. The only thing similar is that they are riding his name for ticket sales.

Again, I'm not saying put him against a Frank Mir in Kimbo's first or second fight. He can fight someone in their early MMA pro career...no problem with that. But I can't respect his game totally if they are cherry picking his fighters

so he won't get taken to the ground. Did you forget that this was MMA?!? MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. It's not boxing, which is what the promoters are promoting..a Kimbo stand up brawl. WHICH is much different than two same skill level fighters in the ring who decide to keep it standing.

Kimbo's promotion is what is wrong with MMA today.

Sorry I only skimmed. An EQUAL level oponent would be nice.

I think Lesner's fight was impressive,he could have beat Mir.His next fight will be great to watch. If Angle gets in to any pro matches look out! Angle is one bad MoFo.Check out his career before WWE. It is most impressive!

When Kimbo fought Ray Mercer, I was against it. (That was not an MMA fight btw) But I think Tank was a step in the right direction. Yeah, Tank is a brawler and Kimbo has no fear of a take-down in that fight but Tank has knocked people out in the past and he can do it still. It didn't surprise me that Kimbo won, but it did impress me with HOW he won. Yeah he knocked him out but he took his time. He worked the distance and he was patient. To me that show someone who is getting better.

You're confusing me a bit though. At one point you say Kimbo needs to not have an opponent hand picked for his style but then you criticize the organization for pitting Lenser versus Mir.

But I think you and I agree that Kimbo should face a tougher opponent each time he fights and wins. You're right, this isn't boxing where someone needs to win 40 fights (over cans) before getting a title shot. I don't think Kimbo OR Lesner should be fighting high level opponents yet.

(this is directed to Fusion) I think you're operating under a misconception regarding fighters being brought up in the ranks. Most fighters fight on small shows and fight "nobodys" when they fights start out. They are not fighting for one of the major five organizations. Most pro fighters start out with a hometown show like what's held here in columbus at LifeStyle Pavillion. So, I have to disagree with you when you say other fighters immediately get thrown into the fray immediately. Rashad Evans' first two fights took place at Dangerzone Cage Fighting against Danny Anderson and Dennis Reed. Jeremy Horn first fought in Quad City Ultimate 2 and Atlanta Fights. Brad Imes' first fight was against a guy who was 2-0 at the time and is currently 6 and 6. Brad Imes was hardly thrown to the wolves. Brad Imes' second fight was against a guy who was 0-1 at the time and since losing to Brad, has not fought again.

I understand what all of you are saying. That is, since Kimbo is getting all this press, put him in the ring with a REAL MMA fighter and see how he does. Well, first off, Kimbo can't help the press that he is getting. He can't help that he's a mean looking mother fucker with a nasty beard. Additionally, most other fighters who are 2-0 don't get thrown to the wolves either.

With the exception of Lesner. Who immediately got thrown to the wolves and got submitted. No it looks like the UFC has put Lesner against an opponent that will offer no serious threat to him in Mark Coleman. So, even though the UFC put him against a crafty Frank Mir it looks like they too have stepped down the competition to meet the quality of a fighter that is 2-0. (Keep in mind too that if Mir would have lost, which he was VERY close to losing btw, people would've been saying that he too was just as washed up as Tank Abbott.)

Finally, I think this is a good debate we are having and I don't want to get anyone pissed off. After all, we at least have 2 things in common, Bikes and MMA. Maybe we can hook up to watch GSP kick the shit out of that midget man Serra in April.

Sorry I only skimmed. An EQUAL level oponent would be nice.

I think Lesner's fight was impressive,he could have beat Mir.His next fight will be great to watch. If Angle gets in to any pro matches look out! Angle is one bad MoFo.Check out his career before WWE. It is most impressive!

I agree with Lesner...he was impressive, but I think it had a lot to do with his massive size and strength. He basically was beating the shit...literally...out of Mir. In the end though, he got caught in a rookie mistake. Understandable...since he's a rookie. :) He had no business in their with Mir so early in his career though. Mir is a phenom on the ground.

Angle will need to get up to speed on striking...really quick. I agree about his grappling experience...but he better learn how to block a punch or kick, or do some basic striking if he can't take someone down to the ground.

I hate rolling with strong wrestlers...they are a beast when they get on top of you. Flipside of that, is that when they get on their back, they are vulnerable if they haven't left that wrestling mentality behind.

When Kimbo fought Ray Mercer, I was against it. (That was not an MMA fight btw) But I think Tank was a step in the right direction. Yeah, Tank is a brawler and Kimbo has no fear of a take-down in that fight but Tank has knocked people out in the past and he can do it still. It didn't surprise me that Kimbo won, but it did impress me with HOW he won. Yeah he knocked him out but he took his time. He worked the distance and he was patient. To me that show someone who is getting better.

You're confusing me a bit though. At one point you say Kimbo needs to not have an opponent hand picked for his style but then you criticize the organization for pitting Lenser versus Mir.

But I think you and I agree that Kimbo should face a tougher opponent each time he fights and wins. You're right, this isn't boxing where someone needs to win 40 fights (over cans) before getting a title shot. I don't think Kimbo OR Lesner should be fighting high level opponents yet.

(this is directed to Fusion) I think you're operating under a misconception regarding fighters being brought up in the ranks. Most fighters fight on small shows and fight "nobodys" when they fights start out. They are not fighting for one of the major five organizations. Most pro fighters start out with a hometown show like what's held here in columbus at LifeStyle Pavillion. So, I have to disagree with you when you say other fighters immediately get thrown into the fray immediately. Rashad Evans' first two fights took place at Dangerzone Cage Fighting against Danny Anderson and Dennis Reed. Jeremy Horn first fought in Quad City Ultimate 2 and Atlanta Fights. Brad Imes' first fight was against a guy who was 2-0 at the time and is currently 6 and 6. Brad Imes was hardly thrown to the wolves. Brad Imes' second fight was against a guy who was 0-1 at the time and since losing to Brad, has not fought again.

I understand what all of you are saying. That is, since Kimbo is getting all this press, put him in the ring with a REAL MMA fighter and see how he does. Well, first off, Kimbo can't help the press that he is getting. He can't help that he's a mean looking mother fucker with a nasty beard. Additionally, most other fighters who are 2-0 don't get thrown to the wolves either.

With the exception of Lesner. Who immediately got thrown to the wolves and got submitted. No it looks like the UFC has put Lesner against an opponent that will offer no serious threat to him in Mark Coleman. So, even though the UFC put him against a crafty Frank Mir it looks like they too have stepped down the competition to meet the quality of a fighter that is 2-0. (Keep in mind too that if Mir would have lost, which he was VERY close to losing btw, people would've been saying that he too was just as washed up as Tank Abbott.)

Finally, I think this is a good debate we are having and I don't want to get anyone pissed off. After all, we at least have 2 things in common, Bikes and MMA. Maybe we can hook up to watch GSP kick the shit out of that midget man Serra in April.

Kimbo vs Mercer wasn't MMA? Then you obviously didn't watch it. Kimbo won via a guillotine. I watched that fight. I don't think they allow chokes in boxing.

It was an 'exhibition', so it really wasn't his debut..BUT it was MMA rules.

:)

I criticize the UFC for putting Lesnar against an arguable legend, Frank Mir. Lesnar had no business fighting someone THAT experienced in his second MMA bout. That was crazy. I'd expect the same from Elite XC for Kimbo. What I don't wanna see is tomato cans lined up in front of both to pad their records. The lesser known fighters don't get that courtesy. Someone with 1 fight should not be fighting an active legend (Mir...I'm not talking Coleman. Coleman has been ineffective for some time now. See his last Pride fight? OMG that was embarrasing), and someone who obviously doesn't want to go to the ground should not be babied and get his opponents hand picked for him. Got another heavy weight with 2 to 3 fights that has a ground game? Throw him in there!!! But that's not whats happening.

I agree on Kimbo's skill...he obviously has the tools. I personally don't think there are many fighters on the planet who can take more than a few shots from this guy. It was obviously he had some skill from his net videos a while ago. Bas just needs to fine tune it...and cross train him..which I believe he is.

I'm not blaming Kimbo for his popularity. I wish him the best! His handlers are obviously behind the match making...they don't want the Kimbo-mystique deflated anytime soon. Kimbo is doing what he needs to do...and that's beating down whoever they put in front of him. Kimbo for President! LOL

And...back to Tank...he's not knocking anyone out in a ring or cage. His cardio is non existant...his chin is gone. He's a washed up brawler ( I hate to use that term) who is WAY past his prime. He was never in shape...and he made a name in the sport when it was relatively new to the US and the rules were much different. He would have never survived in Japan or Brazil back then. Nor would he have made a name for himself if the fighters in the US were training back then like they are now.

I like this discussion...Bikes and MMA work for me!! :) Everyone is entitled to their opinions...I just happen to have followed MMA and trained in different martial arts for the last 10 years. My first MMA event was UFC 2 and I was hooked every since (as bad as it was back then).

Check out the upcoming Frank Shamrock vs. Cung Lee fight...that should be gooooooood.