diabetus

Gixxus Christ!

My brother in law* died from complication from diabetes, it can fuck up your body and life. Adjust your diet, get out and exercise and watch these informative vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pod4jIKT_kA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILIvPzyK_8I

*we used to joke with him about looking like Wilford

Thanks. Found out from my woman's bro in law that a fee light beers can lower my sugar and increase my insulin response the next day, so I will be living on steak and miller 64 from now on....lol.

I am mentally geared up for this, I beat meth/coke addiction 7 yrs ago, so this should be a piece of cake.

There is a lot of good...AND BAD... information out there both from doctors and here on the board.

First of all, diabetes is a shock but it is (unfortunately) very common today and can be managed fairly well. I know when I was first diagnosed, the stupid doctor made me feel that my life was over. He also gave me bad advice. Idiot. He made me feel that I would be dead in ten years. That was 17 years ago.

Sugar is sugar, whether it is cane sugar, corn syrup, or sucrose (fruit sugar). So AFAIK now, some fruits can be as bad as candy bars. Again, the idiot doctor told me that orange juice was fine, so I was drinking it instead of pop. Wrong AFAIK now. The naturally occurring sugars in fruit is the same as sugars occurring in cane.

Also, "eating healthy" can be dangerous. I thought breakfast such as Wheaties, Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, etc. were healthy. They are NOT if you are diabetic. I switched to sausage and eggs and my A1C went down significantly and it did not hurt my cholesterol. It may be different for you.

As has been said, starches (potatoes, etc.) and carbs get quickly converted to sugar :(

My wife's doctor keeps emphasizing weight loss and exercise. Of course for many diabetics, weight loss is difficult. But do your best.

Good luck,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Saw my Dr today and in just 2-1/2 weeks of changing my diet my a1c is down a point and a half. He doesn't want to put me on medication, says if we can continue the downward trend in my a1c for a few months and get it under control below 6.5 that I should be fine for a long time. Said to just treat beer as carbs and to allow myself a treat like ice cream once in a while. He said my day to day sugar simply isn't that important and that as long as my a1c is going down I'm good to go. Nice to hear some good news.

Good news for sure. I know you have the will to persevere since you've fought off addiction this long man.

There are a lot of diabetics in my family. We're all big German/Austrian bred freaks with various food fetishes. 1 in 4 have it on both sides of my family. Almost seems to be my destiny at some point in life, but not yet......not yet.

Good luck and keep on keepin' on

• 2 months later...