Career Path

RSparky

Now, I know I'm going to douse a shit load of salt onto whatever you guys say, but I do know that you guys are secretly a big bunch of nerds.

Plenty of you are engineers and the like, which is awesome, because guess what? I'm not! But, after I graduate in a year, I will be... :D

Anywho. Call me retarded, or hopeful, because I'm wanting to do what I love for the rest of my life. that being, something with bikes. Considering that I'm in engineering, and think it would be cool to make stuff work, I figure I could engineer bikes. :rolleyes: I don't think there are a bunch of motorcycle engineers, so it could be difficult to just call up Honda and say "I'm your guy!"

I know that I'll need to really know bikes before I get there, so my idea is to take a motorcycle mechanic course at a tech school for a year after I graduate. Learn how to wrench, and even more important, learn how to diagnose issues on bikes, so I'd be useful to a company. I'm not claiming complete ignorance, as I can bleed a clutch line, or probably fumble around with changing a shock, but I'm certainly not knowledgeable.

Plus, I know of at least one school that does brand specific electives to get your certification with the bike you bleed for. That would certainly be a plus when trying to get hired. Not to mention the money I could save by switching to Geico.

I also think taking a couple Japanese classes would help in my quest, so that will be on the docket either while I'm in the tech school, or after.

All of that said, I know I will need to support myself. I will search for an entry level engineering position for while I am in the tech school, assuming they offer conveniently timed classes.

Does that sound like a waste of time? Or could I get some good experience and a padded resume with this route?

Thanks for the few of you who actually read it.

CLIFF NOTES:

I'm graduating in mechanical engineering.

I want to engineer bikes.

I think I would be much more desirable and useful if I took a motorcycle tech course, and maybe learn Japanese.

How does that sound to the engineers on the board?

I thought exactly.the way you did when i went into college, after four years of mechanical engineering to get into cars or bikes my decision change with the influence of a job offer as a cnc programmer. I got what was offered and have no regrets changing courses.

You make me laugh.

I have some life experience in this arena, but regardless, take what I say with a grain of salt.

You're fortunate enough to be young and green and soon-to-be a "fresh out". So, you have going for you.

Unfortunately, unless you're well connected, willing to work for peanuts (or at least what I consider "peanuts" for an engineering degree), and/or unwilling to do anything not motorcycle-related -- you're pretty much screwed.

1) You lack relevant experience (unless you've had some relevant engineering co-oping or something)

2) Should you go to a "tech school" for wrenching on bikes, that's not going to help you out. That's what they pay techs to do -- for peanuts.

3) If you're academically smart enough to obtain a degree in engineering with high marks, then your best course is likely to continue your academics via graduate studies (or PhD if you want to pigeonhole yourself into academia-only or something so highly specialized that your job prospects get extremely narrow). When pursuing these studies, your best bet is to get your employer to pay for said additional schooling.

Given all that, finding a lucrative career in the motorcycle industry is slim to nil for you, unless passion >> money for you -- then you should've just spent your time in engineering school at WyoTech or whatever.

My advice to you would be to fill WHATEVER engineering role you can in a major OE and continue to drop hints to management that you'd like to move over to the motorcycle area if at all possible in your career path. Honda would be your best option I think, but I know Yahama is on a hiring spree, and I know Polaris and Harley are constantly looking for engineers if you don't give a damn about moving to Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Sorry if I'm pissing in your Wheaties or raining on your parade, but the outlook isn't good for you unless you're willing to make some concessions to pursue your "dreams".

Unless you're the next Erik Buell, then feel free to hire me as VP of engineering -- I'm a straight shooter that doesn't sugar coat things. :)

Edited by JRMMiii

--Ideas from another engineer geek--

-Honda is probly the best shot, the tech center in CA is the top US location if at all. Dunno if they engineer bikes in Ohio anymore.

- See if you can find motorcycle engineers via linked in and hook up, there might be a cycle engineer group.

- Maybe Harley or Polaris

- Dunno if the tech school would be a plus, it may pin you backward, focus on engineering.

- Look at small US motorcycle companies and suppliers too - MOTAD (sp?) - Motoczysz, there are a couple others that I'm drawing a blank on. Possibly some small build it shops too.

- The electric bike wave is just starting, mbe look at that.

- Work damn hard on your CAD skills. Companys now want engineers that do the whole pie - design, develop, build and run the whole project. - Get some basic project management courses as electives will help.

- Start figuring a favorite part of discipline that your prefer and study that too. Engines? Suspension? Brakes? or Other? Each is a engineering career in itself.

- Dont overlook the racing industry

- Be mobile

- Learning Japanese is a def plus.

- Willing to move to Japan?

That's my list of brainstorming fodder - good luck dude.

Edited by mello dude

The tech schooling may set you back from advancing your degree. I am not in the field, but would think that getting a manual on styles of bikes ( either sport bikes cruisers, dirt bikes) and see how they are currently designed.

Then depending on your engineering course, you may have already have taken metalurgy, thermal dynamics or electric engineering.

CAD and possibly rapid prototyping experience would be a plus, if not flat out required.

The more you learn, the more you know. That being said, don't set your sights so narrowly. Pick a more general engineering career path and specialize as you gain experience. I'd take the course though.

Don't waste your time with the tech school. You should line up an entry-level engineering position straight out of school. Better yet a co-op while you're still in school. If you have SAE Formula or Baja type stuff at your school you should be doing that.

Edited by brn6604

I am currently co-oping at AK Steel. Enginetics is looking to be a cool firm to either co-op or engineer as well.

I do plan to get an engineer position after I graduate. No questions there. It's what i want to do. I just am looking into meshing engineering with bikes. Learning about bikes could be beneficial... Somebody mentioned electric bikes, and that definitely has the gears turning. I want to get ahold of nuts and volts, as he was working on something like that.

JRMIII, thank you for your honesty. I expected more of that actually. I'm not wanting to be a "mechanic." I'm in contact with a representative from one of the nicer looking "mechanic" schools, just seeing what all it will offer. It is definitely more hands-on, 'this is how you fix it.' I know that doing a whole year of that just so it can look good on a resume seems extreme, but I'm also really just wanting to know everything I can. I love riding, and more and more, I'm loving working on my bike. Sure, I haven't taken the engine apart or anything that involves more than my kickstand, but I want to. Maybe not as a job, but the knowledge could be beneficial. Supporting that with an entry level engineer's pay wouldn't be a problem, either.

Overall, I'm feeling a "go ahead" attitude, with a "it's not financially sound, but hey, he's a kid, let him learn the hard way" whisper.

Also, BRN, we have a couple senior design projects, which I can choose from when I start in the fall. I know there is the baja, but also the shell, Eco-Marathon, which I am slightly involved in, just because I redesigned the WSU car's frame for my Vehicle Design class. The design wasn't used, but it was cheaper and lighter than what they are going with. :-P Angle stock for the win! Not sure what I'll do yet though. The baja looks much more fun, indeed. but also much more time consuming.

Mello Dude pretty much nailed it. No, there is nothing wrong with your plans. Build a series of experience that will get you there. I pretty much wanted the same thing in college. I ended up in military aerospace design, which was quite acceptable to me.

Any job that gives small engine design experience will be a good stepping stone. On the other hand, Japanese design firms prefer young engineers right out of school. So that best thing to do is learn Japanese, they really like that.

I would guess that most of the Japanese motorcycle companies have a location in the US for participation in the design of the motorcycle for the North American market. Honda in particular, has a West coast design team. That's where I wanted to be.

It used to be that a lot of the hiring was from certain West coast industrial design schools. Not sure about hiring practices now.

Honestly, the way the world is today, designing your own motorcycle and starting your own company might be a better goal. It sure would be a hell of a lot more fun.

edit: a motorcycle designer right here in Columbus:

Aniket Vardhan

http://www.musketvtwin.com/home.html

Edited by ReconRat

Very cool. But I don't know enough to do that lol. Thus the bike class. And yes, from my limited research, I've seen a lot of them offered in the west. Which I am ok with. I want to get out of Ohio before the black hole gets me.

Again with the grain of salt. If you decide to atteend a mechanics school it is gonna probably mess with everything you learned about engineering. The two but heads in my opinion. I have made a living at fixing things since 1968. All designed by engineers. I have worked with engineers.The one thing that I have discovered is they can't fix what they

design. It amazes me how they can make something so simple so darn complicated. One thing on motorcycle that comes to mind---GL1200 Honda starter removal. Step one - Remove engine. On a car---Pontiac Montana thermostat.Step one - Remove exhaust crossover pipe. BTW both of these repairs can be made without doing step ones but it took a mechanic to figure it out. Just a little rub young man. Follow that dream. I hope you attain your goals.

Many years ago a friend of mine was in the same situation as you except his love was cars. His senior project involved one of his race cars but after graduation he was employed in the medical devices industry which has been quite lucrative for him. He has several patents and still does his racing on the side. Keep an open mind you never know where it may take you.

1 I had a friend go to one of the big schools for motorcycle tech. He graduated and got out and started doing what he loved working on motorcycles.Then even though business was good and money was good enough he got burnt out and decided to join the army at 27 years old. I asked why he was giving it up and he said that making his hobby his job ruined his passion for motorcycles.

2. Maybe go down to Larry Pegram's shop (if its still open) and ask around if there is anyone that can point you in the right direction.

3. Try to get ahold of the Honda plant in Marysville and start asking to see if you can have a meeting with an engineer. You could also try TRC which is near the plant. A few engineers work there.

Edited by cOoTeR

I'm With Cooter on this one. I think the worst thing you can do is make your hobby your job. Yes it works for some but most get burned out. I would also love to be involved with bikes use to be street now seems to be more dirt related. THANKS HELLMUTT!! anyway. I want to do something thats rewarding and can pay for me to play. Good luck on whatever you decide but engineerds make Great money. And you could always do what A buddy pf mine did and open a shop that you work in after work. then eventually go FULL shop.