7-29-12 going anywhere southeast

tigerdoug

^^^

Good sugestion.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/

I think this part is especially good:

THE PACE

The Pace focuses on bike control and de-emphasizes outright speed. Full-throttle acceleration and last minute braking aren't part of the program, effectively eliminating the two most common single-bike accident scenarios in sport riding. Cornering momentum is the name of the game, stressing strong, forceful inputs at the handlebar to place the bike correctly at the entrance of the turn and get it flicked in with little wasted time and distance. Since the throttle wasn't slammed open at the exit of the last corner, the next corner doesn't require much, if any, braking. It isn't uncommon to ride with our group and not see a brake light flash all morning.

If the brakes are required, the front lever gets squeezed smoothly, quickly and with a good deal of force to set entrance speed in minimum time. Running in on the brakes is tantamount to running off the road, a confession that you're pushing too hard and not getting your entrance speed set early enough because you stayed on the gas too long. Running The Pace decreases your reliance on the throttle and brakes, the two easiest controls to abuse, and hones your ability to judge cornering speed, which is the most thrilling aspect of performance street riding.

----

IMO, this is the biggest difference between riding fast on a track and riding fast on the street.

IMO, this is the biggest difference between riding fast on a track and riding fast on the street.

It is a rare occasion when hard braking is needed on group rides. I will touch my brakes as a preset when riding a fast pace in case I need them when riding along with experienced people I trust at an accelerated pace. I have boiled off my brakes trying to keep up with faster people at a way too fast stupid pace that doesn't belong on the street or around a group ride. I have never had an accident nor had one of the experienced guys go down at that pace.

It seems the accidents occur with people going too fast for their skill set and not understanding that their survival instincts are telling them to do the wrong things. The pace has little to do in these cases because it boils down to the disparity of skill among the riders. I can't recommend a track day enough to people, not because it will make them faster but because it will make them safer. I was having just as much fun going slower before I had any track time as I do now but wasn't as safe so speed is not the end all of having fun.

The pace works out great if you ride around others of the same skills. I like to help people out when doing group rides which means riding with people that have less experience. If you don’t have someone else in the group that is willing to lead and that knows the route it’s hard to help others because you are leading. I have seen disastrous results from passing roads and stopping to turn around to make a turn. If I am leading I try to make sure I know the route. I’ve had lots of fun on group rides but am getting discouraged with the accidents. Riding with only experienced riders would probably change this but I never would have known the roads or gotten the experience I have now if it hadn’t been for more experienced riders taking the time to ride with me.