Roads south of 56

Mary#17

Hello all,

Thanks to some suggestions by others, I want to try some roads south of 56 next trip out.

I'm looking at taking:

93 south of 56

141 n to Gallipolis

160 N

I'll be starting off around Hocking area and ending at Athens unless somebody has any nice hotel suggestions in this area. Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

Mary

If you have the time and want to do a little exploring,these roads are worth a look...

775 from Scottown to 790

790 from 775 to 218

217 from 218 to 7

Greasy Ridge Rd from 243 until it ends.

It has been a couple years since I've been down there so I have no idea of pavement conditions,but these are some good roads.

Greasy Ridge is one of the curviest county roads I've ever been on.When I was down there the pavement was getting rough,but if it has good pavement it is worth checking out.

Anyone from the area know the conditions of these roads?

Have a good ride Mary.

drc's suggestions are all good. I am not a big fan of 93 south of 56. Too much traffic, not a lot of interesting curves or scenery even. If you don't want to go as far south as the roads above, an alternative is 278 south from 56 (as of two weeks ago, 356 was closed), then 50 east to get to 143, to 7, north on 7 briefly to 248 over to the river, then back towards Athens on 144 or 681. 50 and 7 are boring but it's only a few miles on those roads.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might have to find an alternate to 93. Doesn't sound that interesting. Too bad about 356. We did that the past couple of times and it was neat ride especially from 56.

Mary

If you are going to be down this way and heading toward gallipolis I'd check out 233 and 554, 775, 790, and 218. Havn't made it to some of them on the south end of them, but north side of most of them wasn't bad about a month ago.

Hi Josh,

I've modified my route and now include all of those except for 554. Thanks for the other suggestions before as well. I replied to your PM but I"m never sure if they go through or not. Thanks again.

Mary

Josh,

Have you ever been on Greasy Ridge road?If not,it kinda parallels 775 from just east of South Point on 243 to about Lecta.If you get a chance,I'd sure like to know the pavement conditions on that road.Quite a few driveways,but fun,fun,fun!

Thanks Denny

I rode down to the river and in Oakhill got off on some real backroads. Had to be careful as there were many blind 90's which if blown through would take you off a 30' or so drop off. Saw fields being plowed with teams of horses.....but it was beautiful.