Conway's BBQ in Marion Oh

Jcarlson

As my wife and I often do, we set out on our ride yesterday in search of a new (to us) place to eat. Yesterday we chose Conway's BBQ in Marion Oh.

It's located at 1692 Marion Mt Gilead Rd (Rt 95) in Marion Oh, just west of US 23. It's in a plaza on the north side of 95. I aslo found it while searching for food places under Points Of Interest on my GPS (Garmin Zumo 220).

We arrived for dinner about 4:00pm - early by some people's standards but not ours. It's your standard sports bar type of place - similar to a BW's/Roosters. At one end of the building there is the cattle gate style line where you can order take out or wait to be seated. The dining area is in the middle of the building. Very clean inside, fixtures are in good shape and working order. Restrooms were clean as well. Multiple flat screens hang on the walls so you can catch the current sports event. At the far end is the bar area; open to the dining area and has it's own entrance as well.

We sat in the dinning area. I ordered the half slab of baby back ribs. I had a choice of "Wet or dry" so naturally I chose wet. It came with choice of two sides so I got cole slaw and mac & cheese. It also came with corn bread.

I have to admit I liked their ribs better than City BBQ. No disrepect to City BBQ because the got it goin on, but these ribs were about twice as thick with meat, tasty sauce, tender and juicy. City BBQ's ribs are often times hard and chewy on the outside for some reason.

My wife had the brisket sandwhich which had tons of flavor, tender and juicey. It came in two sizez - 3oz or 5oz. She got the 5oz Carolina style (slaw on top). It was HUGE!!! Once again City BBQ's brisket is good but sometimes dry. I gotta give Conway's props on this one too.

I'm not sure what the bill was since my wife bought this time. I didn't ask I guess it didn't really matter, but I'll guess it was around $25-$30 before tip.

Overall I'll give it a good rating and definately worth a road trip on a sunny day.

From there we headed east on 95 to 13 then on into Mt. Vernon, turned right on Rt 3 and headed home. 115 miles in total. A good ride for sure.

Our next food road trip will be to Landoll's Mohican Castle in Loudenville Oh. Google it!!

Jim

P.S. - We got on US23 in Waldo and rode 10 miles to RT 95 and it was all fereshly paved blacktop - smooth as glass. Not sure how much further it went beyond Marion but it was a nice surface.

Edited by Jcarlson

We rode to Fredericktown once in search of food. Didn't find much besides the Subway inside the grocery store. The diner at the garage next door wasn't open. What's up with a diner in an auto repair shop, and why wasn't it open?

Neat little town though. I liked the old mill on the hill.

BTW - do you know Luke Perry of Beverly Hills 90210 fame? He's from there.

Great report on what sounds like a fine eatery!

I wish we heard more about the southern portion of the state, would love to find some good catfish eatery down our way. With all the catfish tournaments and fishing spots all around us it seems like there would be some restaurants that had good cf dishes. Another thing missing is smelt baskets. Almost non existent around here, and man are they good along with some cold brew.

I have not found one thing at Conway's BBQ so far that I do not like, never tried the catfish though, not a fan, guys at work like it though...Turkey, pulled pork, slaw, mac & cheese (take two) is my favorite.

I've been to rt 62 BBQ many many times. Small place, seats about 6 people, just south of Johnstown on what else- Rt 62!! They got it goin on too. You order whatever (usually brisket for me) and you get this tub of meat, and I mean a TUB of meat, and one bun plus two sides. You make a snadwhich and eat it but you still have 3/4 of the tub of meat. From there you douse it in hot sauce and mow it down straight from the bowl with your fork. Man oh man is that some good eatin!!

And they are VERY BIKER FRIENDLY!!

Never been to Dresden. I'll put it on my list though.

Thanks for the tip Pokey!!