Archery input please

Helmutt

My daughter has taken a recent interest in learning to shoot bow. I used to shoot/hunt in my teens with my Dad but have been out of the game so long and traded off my Darton back in the early 90's. I am NOT bow saavy by any means, especially with all thats changed in the industry and designs. Just joined AT to re-educate myself but plan to get an inexpensive starter bows for all 3 of us to play with, mainly as a hobby for now but if my kid wants to stick with it I can take her on a hunt someday. Heard good things about Mathews Genesis for beginners, sound like a good choice? I dont want to dump a pile for cash into this up front, but I would enjoy something adult sized in 50-80lb compound too. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

I chatted with our nightshift foreman and he just gave me a freebie compound he had laying around, its an Indian Hunter? Haven't researched it, just got it home. 30" draw at 50lb and has no adjustments, no sights, no nock, no arrow rest, no nothing really. It will surely need some peripherals to use it since I'm not much of an instinctual shooter. Its too long of a draw for the wife, too much draw weight for my daughter, but does seem to fit me "ok" so I'll keep it to use. Just need some beginner equip to setup the ladies.

Figure I'll stock up on cheap shafts, nocks, fletchings, inserts, and field points so it costs me less for the abundant missed shots we will have:D

That looks like a nice outfit to start on, but may be just short on draw length for me. 30" is about as short as I can go, but that comparison is with the 30" I was given today and this bow is dated. New models have a different draw measurement? I thought draw length was always measured from the heel of your bow hand back to the nock at full pull ( typically draw to the corner of my mouth, I dont use triggered releases )

What about the PSE Mini Burner or Diamond Atomic to start the wife/kid on? Seem to be a better fit for them length and weight wise. My new bow could wait since this freebie will suffice for now once I get some pinsights or peep and arrow rest mounted, so if/when I upgrade I will probably pursue the Razor Edge or similar if it fits me.

I am happy to see the bows are already fitted with quivers and all, dont remember that being as much of an option when I was a kid ( or at least from what I remember since we had to go to the local shops or flip thru catalogs to shop :D the internet rooolz!:metal: )

What do you shoot with grape? Big money equip or something affordable for the hobbyist?

I dont mind used equip at all, just dont know exactly what to look for with possible issues on a used bow other than what logic tells me. Stressing/fractures on the limbs at the cams and mounts. Freying anywhere on the strings ( although they are cheap to replace ). Burrs/nicks on the cams or bent cams.

Sound about like all that would need to be checked?

My 11 year old has one of these ok for the price. Would be good for your kid and wife but would be small for you. But for the price you could get yourself a bow also.

http://m.basspro.com/Barnett-Vortex-Compound-Bow-Package-for-Youth/product/10206583/129967

Thanx man, that looks to be a good deal on a startup set and the numbers seem like a fit for them both. Might look into these as well.

Holy shat, surfing AT classifieds I'm finding some decent deals but the nomenclature has changed so much since I was into this that I feel like I'm using a Spanish dictionary to translate Italian :nono: Seems I got a lot of research to do

May pickup a Vortex just to try it out for the wife/kid. Seems relatively inexpensive and good reviews.

Next question is arrow wt. Comes with 450gr and a lot of folks are complaining they're too heavy for the draw wt. Should I go with +/- 250gr to start with? Sound like a proper target wt arrow?

I bought mine at fin they took some horton arrows an cut them to length for the bow they seem to fly better then the ones that came with it. I will have to look to see what they gave me. I have a crossbow so all the compound bow talk is still spanish to me also. But it is a great bow that has a nice range of adjustment. My 9 year old can pull it at its weakest setting. But it can be adjusted up high enough to hunt with.