Wanted: beginner electric bass lessons, central ohio

jblosser

Anyone teach (or know of a person that accepts) beginners in the Central Ohio area?

I can read music, but have never played a string instrument, and would like to learn.

Would also appreciate input on a beginner's package; bass, amp, ...? Not looking to spend much until I figure out if A) I like it and B) I can play it. Not afraid to spend money if/once I find out I have ability and affinity.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jblosser

I could teach you for free if you were closer. Sold my bass last year for track funds though. Sort of wish I hadn't now...

BUY USED. That's all you really need to know about equipment. Intro level basses are under $200 new, and most brands seem to have an intro brand. I.e. Fender sells "Squire" basses that look like a fender precision, but with cheaper wood and electronics.

Look for a nice used Ibanez SR series, or a Precision copy ("P-bass") by any of the major brands.

Those should be $80-$150 used. Obviously music stores will charge you a premium, even on used stuff, but they will also generally set them up with new strings and set the bridge height, etc. probably worth it or a newb.

Get a 15 watt practice amp, and a 15' cable, and you're good.

I would avoid 5-string basses and active electronics for a first bass.

• Upvote 1

+1 on the Ibanez Sr series, I had one, played awesome. I'd go for a better amp tho, 15 watts is gonna sound like ass imho. Bring an experienced musician, preferably a bassist with you to check your prospective instrument over, look for buzzing frets, loose tuning keys, make sure the action is good...

• Upvote 1

15 does sound like crap, but it's small enough for practice, easy to move, and loud enough to play with a band in a pinch.

I eventually had a 100 watt crate 1x15" combo amp, then a 200 watt crate head with a 1x15" and 2x10" cabinets, and after selling the show gear to buy my (ex) gf a guitar, I bought an old fender bass man with the 10" speakers blown and a 15" in it's place...

The harke "kick back" 12" combo amp is money. Those Hartke amps are tanks. That's what I would buy next time around. 40-100 watts is probably enough to play in a garage band. More for performing.