headlights

Ricochet

Sylvania Silverstar - brighter replacement for stock.

These bulbs may burn out quicker than stock.

relatively cheap and quick fix. Keep a spare headlight bulb on the bike. (the old bulb will work)

I bought a two pack from amazon

There's two or more types of Silverstar bulbs. One is lower cost standard replacement. It has good improvement on light hitting the road.

There's an upgrade type that's more expensive. I haven't tried those.

Bulbs meant for cars and trucks will fail from vibration. The Silverstar motorcycle series are vibration resistant. The one that I know works for me is the H4ST.

edit: don't touch the bulb with bare hands when installing. That will shorten the bulb life.

Edited by ReconRat

I bought the Sportiva brand off ebay. I have installed them on mine and a few friends bikes. They work well. I originally purchased the DDM tuning ones. htey took forever to get here as they shipped from China or Japan, and the one they sent me was a single light but the harness was very short and seemed to be the car harness. I sent it back for a refund and got the Sportivas. I have only had one issue with the Sportiva HID kit and that was it went out while riding, one of the guys I was riding with told me about it and I pulled over shut the bike off, restarted it and that fixed the issue. I guess the ballast freaked out for whatever reason.

I used the Sylvania Silverstars before I switched to HIDs and they are a huge upgrade over stock. The HIDs will get the attention of everyone in front of you. They are not designed to be in a reflector housing, they are supposed to be in projectors, the reflectors allow the light to spread everywhere, as opposed to the projectors focusing it.

I had a lady on the freeway get pissed at me because of the lights in her mirror, after I passed her she attempted to high beam me, which doesn't work on a bike, but it made her feel better apparently.

I decided on these when I was rebuilding the VFR:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00544ZD86/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I read up on HID's and decided that, if I didn't do a projector retrofit I probably wouldn't be happy. I was also concerned with the splatter effect on aftermarkets, especially since being blinded by other people's headlights is a pet-peeve of mine.

I had them in my fzr inside conventional headlight buckets, I was happy with the results. Only complaint I had was they were bi-xenon which means for high beam the bulb physically moves inside the light, and my bulbs moved too far, so that when my high beams were on they were illuminating the trees 50 yds ahead of me. The low beams were bright enough that this wasn't a problem, just an annoyance.