2010 R6 stolen from Summit Point

redkow97

just re-posting since we're close enough that parts might pop up on CL

Last Friday night/Saturday morning someone cut the locks on my trailer and stole my race bike. I was parked at the Hampton Inn in Inwood, WV. The bike is a 2010 Yamaha R6, #311, blue and white with Armour Bodies bodywork. The bike has never been down except the forks and engine case covers (woodcraft) have scrapes and gauges on them since they came off my old bike.

Other info on the bike:

VIN: JYARJ16E7AA020069

Engine ID#: J516E-0026471

Penske shock (8987) - this also is older as it came off my last bike

Woodcraft rearsets/clip-ons

Akropovic exhaust, SS w/ titanium can

Scotts steering damper

Quickshifter/PCV/QEM

Wheels on it at the time were off my old bike ('06 R6) so they don't have the white stripes

Whoever stole it dropped their cell phone in my trailer so I'm really hoping I get it back. Cameras also were on both sides of the hotel - 3 days later I haven't heard anything yet though. If anyone hears anything or thinks they see any of it up for sale anywhere please call Berkeley Country Sheriff's department (WV), CCS, local police or let me know!

www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,26717.0.html

The theif dropped their cell phone in the trailer and the police haven't arrested this guy already? I know 99% of the time stolen cars/bikes/etc are never recovered, and there's no point in a huge investigation. But with evidence like that pointing you to someone I would think they might make an effort on this one.

Just as a PSA here, I'm tossing this scenario around the law office, and the consensus is:

- POLICE need a warrant to go through a phone they recover at a crime scene, BUT

- if your trailer is broken into and YOU pick up the phone and go through it, the information you read is not the product of a "state action," and can be used in the police report. It's not an improper search by police, because you (shocker) are not the police.

It shouldn't be hard for the cops to get a search warrant for the phone without any action on the victim's part, but that statement of what the police expect to find certainly helps the warrant writing process.