Warp Drive

ReconRat

If you missed it today, the news feeds are all talking about warp drive.

NASA has re-examined the math on the physics of the drive, and now believe it's actually possible. Previous estimates were that an energy mass the size of Jupiter would be need. They now think only about 500 pounds will do it.

This concept is known as the Alcubierre drive

Scientists say warp drive may be more feasible than thought

Geek stuff:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20110023492

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110015936_2011016932.pdf (large PDF)

How multiple dimensions work (this will make your head hurt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_GQqUg6Ts

Edited by ReconRat

• 3 weeks later...

Here... have another. Impulse drive, like on Star Trek.

Somebody's working on it, with expectations of success.

6 week trip to Mars...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57523867-1/star-trek-fusion-impulse-engine-in-the-works/

(Somebody is working on a functional HoloDeck as well.)

I'd settle for a replicator.

In Star Trek a replicator is a machine capable of creating (and recycling) objects. Replicators were originally seen used to synthesize meals on demand, but in later series they took on many other uses.

I'd like a pizza replicated right now unless someone can beam one over. Don't forget the mushrooms.

It still appears to me our understanding of the force we know as gravity will have undefined implications upon the interactions of any "Warp Field" and the matter contained within it. We may be able to engineer a field that can obtain instantaneous transmission across great third dimension distances but will gravity allow our matter to interact within that field?

It still appears to me our understanding of the force we know as gravity will have undefined implications upon the interactions of any "Warp Field" and the matter contained within it. We may be able to engineer a field that can obtain instantaneous transmission across great third dimension distances but will gravity allow our matter to interact within that field?

Their calculations said whatever gravitational forces exist inside the field would not change. Things like inertia, mass, and perceived speed of light (inside) would not be effected. But we don't have artificial gravity on demand, only spin to make gravity. So part or all would spin to produce gravity. Whether it would be used during a transit, I don't know. And they would have to prove it.

Their calculations said whatever gravitational forces exist inside the field would not change. Things like inertia, mass, and perceived speed of light (inside) would not be effected. But we don't have artificial gravity on demand, only spin to make gravity. So part or all would spin to produce gravity. Whether it would be used during a transit, I don't know. And they would have to prove it.

Maybe I understand it poorly but this field basically acts as a bubble encapsulating a piece of our three dimensional universe, right? But if gravity is a result of inter dimensional interaction then gravity will not work within that bubble.

No science or math I can put behind it but I have long thought gravity is a consequence of 3rd dimensional mass interacting with higher dimensional physics, so that removing that interaction would nullify the effect. The theory of this interaction does make things like black holes seem more feasible and also seems to help explain the dark matter effect in my mind. Oh well, the pain of someone who loves theory but sucks at math. :lol:

Any answer is possible with gravity, since it's been rather hard to find the source. All current attempts center around the proposed existence of a graviton particle that hasn't been found yet. And would still require figuring out how it actually works.

An interesting part about black holes, is that once inside, gravity is back toward the shell (event horizon) that you just passed through.

edit: I'm not deep into understanding this "bubble" yet either, but I get the impression it's in some way formed by inter-dimensional action, if it's using inter-dimensional travel. So who knows, it could go either way. But they are claiming no change.

Edited by ReconRat