Sensitive ignition switch? Shorted PC?

RSparky

So, I'm noticing a little something interesting every now and then.

A couple weeks ago, i rode in the pouring balls rain. No big deal, I like rain rides. This one was particularly wet. :D

Week or so later, I start my bike, and it stalls after 2 seconds. Not like a bog stall. Like an open circuit stall. I flick the switch, and the fuel injector whir noise starts, then stops suddenly, as well as the Power Commander click under my rear seat.

Then, it whirs completely, and allows me to start it. The switch seems to be sensitive. If I gently push it down further into the "on position" it stops the bike. And occasionally, I have to flip it once or twice to get the fuel pump to start.

Either that, or maybe the PC got wet and shorted something? It runs fine once it's going. And it's only acted funny a handful of times. Any thoughts?

So, you mean the keyhole ignition itself? Cuz it's the switch on the bar that seems to act weird. I can lightly touch it, pushing more on the "on" side, and that will kil it even.

I was talking about your fuel cut off switch. Thats where I would start to diag because it is exposed to the elements water could have got into the switch affecting the contacts.

I never use my kill switch, don't see the point unless its an emergency shut-off.

If you get in a jam where you have to hold both clutch and front brake you'll use it to turn the engine off.

I use mine to shutdown. And then flick it back to the ON position. Habit, I guess.

Just don't forget to turn the key off, and pull it.

Electrical contacts tend to fail if not used.

Edited by ReconRat

If you decide to purchase electrical contact cleaner do yourself a huge favor and read the can and make sure it says "Plastic Safe or Compatible" . Use the wrong stuff and the plastic that holds the shinny bits and springs will disappear and your day will suck.

Haven't gotten to this yet. My life sucks. I have gotten a new symptom, however. Maybe same problem, maybe unrelated...

It seems as though the bike is acting like it's running on three, or something. at low rpm it is hesitant, and sounds slightly more rumbly.

Also VERY common on the R6S is the ignition coils go bad. I say start with kill switch and then see how it runs. U can find which cyl it is by running bike and using heat gun to measure header temp or just spray some water on them and see which one does not steam the water away fastest.

Also VERY common on the R6S is the ignition coils go bad. I say start with kill switch and then see how it runs. U can find which cyl it is by running bike and using heat gun to measure header temp or just spray some water on them and see which one does not steam the water away fastest.

Good tip!

Also, I read about the ignition coils. But that was a while ago, so I forget what exactly brand it was. Denso, or mitsubishi... I'll be looking into it tonight.