Using a Soundbar with Home Theater

Bitani

So, I'm in an apartment right now. I just bought a 50" Panasonic plasma TV and mounted it yesterday.

I also got a $599.99 Klipsch soundbar and subwoofer. I REALLY want surround sound, but don't want a really expensive set-up; and can't blast it in an apartment. And I figure for what I'm wanting I'm going to want to spend probably $1,000+ (which I won't have for a while anyways.)

So anyways, I plan on taking the TV and soundbar with me after college in a few years when I get a house and setting it up there.

With receivers and all of the fancy doohickies for a full-on home theater setup, am I going to be able to use the soundbar? It's a digital optical cable output, but I don't know how the whole receiver thing works.

Ideas?

I just want to know if I'm going to be able to use the expensive soundbar as my front speaker probably.

Edited by Bitani

You can certainly use it, but it may not be ideal - I believe the sound bar is designed to simulate the entire surround sound experience. When you hook it to an actual surround driver, you'll probably notice the two fight each other. You'd probably be better off selling the sound bar and getting a nice surround set-up, assuming you still have this discount then. To be honest, it's been my experience that cheap speakers set up as a true surround system sound better than a super expensive system that's not a surround system. And by this I mean you are more immersed in the sound. For a good home theater, expect to shell out $2000+ for a receiver, Blueray, surround speakers, woofer, and front speakers. Then spend some dough on a good TV to make it worth watching.

Having said that, in the last year, I sold off my big screen, got rid of my home theater and now just have a 32" 720p HD TV, cable and DVD. Can't say I miss the better system.

Well it depends on the receiver and if it has an optical out. Being that the receiver is supposed to be the input it may not have an optical output if that makes sense. High end receiver may have an optical out but its been a while since I worked in Home Theater, at Best Buy haha. I just looked at my Yamaha receiver and it has analog outputs but no optical.

Look at the YHT-497BL I know for a fact you can get that for $280 on EPPY and it is GREAT in my apartment! My upstairs neighbors must hate me though haha :D

Edited by JStump

I bought an entire klipsch surround system a few years ago for $300 or so. Sub, center, fronts and rears. I will admit the sub is a bit weak, but I have a Sony 120 watt 12" I bought like 14 yrs ago that still works great. I run it all with a Sony digital 100w/channel receiver I got new for around $250. The whole thing sounds great in my and everyone who's heard its opinion. The speaker package I got I believe is the hd300 series...my cousin dropped thousands on his 7.1 receiver and some high dollar speakers and it doesn't sound any better than my setup.

Ah, alrighty. Well just those 3 comments help. Thanks guys!

But I'm guessing, definitely in an apartment, the soundbar will be enough? :D Work on that nice set-up once I get enough money, and just ditch the soundbar?

Honestly, the sound IS obviously coming from one direction in here. But as a perfectly square probably 10' by 13' room, I think my soundbar with "3D surround" on is already bouncing off the walls well enough to be 'surrounded' by it.

I bought an entire klipsch surround system a few years ago for $300 or so. Sub, center, fronts and rears. I will admit the sub is a bit weak, but I have a Sony 120 watt 12" I bought like 14 yrs ago that still works great. I run it all with a Sony digital 100w/channel receiver I got new for around $250. The whole thing sounds great in my and everyone who's heard its opinion. The speaker package I got I believe is the hd300 series...my cousin dropped thousands on his 7.1 receiver and some high dollar speakers and it doesn't sound any better than my setup.

Wow. Well, I'm kind of an audiophile and have problems telling myself the cheaper systems sound just as good even if they do haha. I think my perception is skewed once I see the actual price tag one way or the other.

soundbar wont be as wide as what is required by a true surround sound setup. Unless you are only planning on using it as a very expensive center channel, in which case it may work or interfere with the left and rights.

You are getting a soundbar and a powered sub and you cant blast in your apartment? How do you figure that will be much different "blasting" wise than a real surround sound?

My plan was to start with a cheap htib, upgrade incrementally starting with a receiver, and when done, use the htib speakers as a second zone. After awhile, I realized I didn't care that much to spend $1k+ on a budget "quality" home theater and my cheap htib was enough to satisfy my requirements.

Wow. Well, I'm kind of an audiophile and have problems telling myself the cheaper systems sound just as good even if they do haha. I think my perception is skewed once I see the actual price tag one way or the other.

that's not audiophile, that's monstercableism

• Upvote 1

But I'm guessing, definitely in an apartment, the soundbar will be enough? :D

Back in college I had my cheap 5.1 in my bedroom....it sounded better in that small room than it has in any of my more recent living rooms.

I think my apartment living room may be the exact same size and I am telling you, try the Yamaha HTIB! HAHA You can always return it but for the money you will spend on a sound bar you could get this and be way more satisfied with the true surround sound. And think about how small those speakers are in a sound bar, you are going to be missing all your mid range with those, and possibly some of your low range too depending on how powerful the sub is.

The reality is, once you get above the absolute cheapest speakers on the market ($199 for Blueray and receiver and 6 speaker surround kits), to truly note a difference in speaker and sound system quality, you need a space designed for the sound. Cheaper speakers can sound absolutely fantastic in a proper space, where expensive speakers can sound like junk in a tin can.

The setup I had in college cost me $300 - $150 for a decent used Sony head unit and $150 for a Jensen 6 speaker surround kit. I set it up in my room and it sounded spectacular. Now, my room was perfectly rectangular with triple brick walls on three of four sides and a lathe and plaster wall on the fourth. Ceiling and floor were both solid - absorbed the sound nicely, didn't reflect odd noises. Sounded like a movie theater. We'd cram 20 people in that room to watch movies, because it sounded incredible.

Same system in my house sounded like shit - open floor plan, cheaper drywall, slab foundation, etc.

No sense spending $10,000 on sound equipment in a space where it doesn't matter.

I think my apartment living room may be the exact same size and I am telling you, try the Yamaha HTIB! HAHA You can always return it but for the money you will spend on a sound bar you could get this and be way more satisfied with the true surround sound. And think about how small those speakers are in a sound bar, you are going to be missing all your mid range with those, and possibly some of your low range too depending on how powerful the sub is.

Well, this sub vibrates my entire room. It's AMAZING for the price. And I've tested the range on the soundbar, and it's pretty darn good also. I've always been a big fan of what Klipsch puts out.

I'll probably be going over to a friend's and seeing how his HTIB sounds. :p Unless it's a monumental difference, I might just hold off, though. I know that if I upgrade, I'll keep on spending my money! (And I'm only living here another year before moving off to college.)

Missed the part about already having a sound bar. In that case you might as well hold off on the sound system haha. Now if you had to pick where to spend the money I was going to argue about HTIBs sounding better than sound bars lol.

Missed the part about already having a sound bar. In that case you might as well hold off on the sound system haha. Now if you had to pick where to spend the money I was going to argue about HTIBs sounding better than sound bars lol.

Well I have 30 days to return it, so it's not like I was completely out of the game! I was just wondering if there was going to be a difference worth it enough to go through the effort of mounting a full system for the remainder of the school year; since I'll be out of this room in not too long.

I know I'm definitely going to get one when I get my own place, though. I'd probably piss the neighbors off WAY too much right now, haha. (Probably already am with this sub!)

Dude....if you spent 370 on the sound bar take it back and get the quintet IV and a receiver...I bought a TSXR-607, quintetIV and the SW350 for about $600. (btw those prices were cost total from HHG about two years ago). I hate spending more $ in the long run and would rather get what i will use for 10 years+. Just my $.02. Soundbars will never equal a HT setup and the experience you get makes it worth it IMHO. Not sure if your discounts are, but you can always upgrade the receiver in the near future.

Dude....if you spent 370 on the sound bar take it back and get the quintet IV and a receiver...I bought a TSXR-607, quintetIV and the SW350 for about $600. (btw those prices were cost total from HHG about two years ago). I hate spending more $ in the long run and would rather get what i will use for 10 years+. Just my $.02. Soundbars will never equal a HT setup and the experience you get makes it worth it IMHO. Not sure if your discounts are, but you can always upgrade the receiver in the near future.

so much of this! My parents got a soundbar for their new bedroom tv and I still don't get why. Its ok I guess but for the price you can buy an HTIB that sounds far better.

Apartment living sucks if you like loud sound, that was the #2 reason why I said screw it and decided to buy a house. Bought a nice HTIB system and although my neigbors were awesome and really never complained, I never felt I could listen to loud stuff in fear of bothering them. In the last 6 months before I moved each one on either side had a baby so I needed to GTFO. Now I've got my Sports Cave basement all set up and I blast the shit out of my music and sports

I live in a 2nd floor apartment and the SW350 is downfiring (lol). I have never listened to mine at 0db (THX) kinda sucks. But the system is solid and sounds great. i route everything through the receiver and one HDMI to the TV. DTV, xbox, ps3, computer, and an antenna just for kicks.

I just picked up a 55" Panasonic plasma at Best Buy and was looking at the Klipsch sound bars.

I'm pretty happy with it, especially in my small rectangular room. It bounces well.

I might be looking at the whole HTiB thing though, since everybody seems to think I'm dumb. :p