Home Theater Dampening

Bitani

Hey guys. So if you saw my last thread about getting a speaker set - up I got them and a 450W sub.

Now, since my neighbors already complained about a less powerful sub, (they're above me, apartment), does anybody know of a way to dampen the sound going above so they don't complain again? I know soundproofing is nothing less than impossible, but I'd like to make it as not likely as possible.

I'm positioning the sub in a corner and the speakers are just 5.0 Quintets.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rebuild the apartment building... There's really nothing you're gonna be able to do other than turn the bass down or compromise with your neighbor.

I'm in an apartment complex as well and I've talked with all my surrounding neighbors to come to an agreement with all of us to have any loud bass down or off by 11pm or 1pm on Friday and Saturday.

I agree, nothing you can do to tune an apartment without tearing out walls. Like I said in my response to your last post, if you want to make the best of a $10,000 stereo, you need a $35,000 room to put it in. I wouldn't worry too much about your home theater until you have your own digs.

I live on the 2nd floor with the same sub (good call btw). just use the knob on the back of the woofer to turn the volume down enough that you can hear it but not enough to rattle anything. Long story short...during the day you arent breaking any laws.

I must be really lucky because im on the bottom floor of my apartment as well.. Im running a denon 5.1 reciever and boston speakers. I really crank it up while playing cod or watching movies, and I havent had 1 complaint in a year! knock on wood

I must be really lucky because im on the bottom floor of my apartment as well.. Im running a denon 5.1 reciever and boston speakers. I really crank it up while playing cod or watching movies, and I havent had 1 complaint in a year! knock on wood

They probably figure if the call the cops to complain about your stereo, the cops may stumble on the meth lab they've got in their bathroom. :D

I agree, nothing you can do to tune an apartment without tearing out walls. Like I said in my response to your last post, if you want to make the best of a $10,000 stereo, you need a $35,000 room to put it in. I wouldn't worry too much about your home theater until you have your own digs.

I didn't even remember you saying that, but it makes complete sense. If I didn't say it in the last thread, though, I DO plan on taking this system with me to my own place after college. (From what I've heard, speakers definitely DO last a helluva long time.) I don't like spending any sizable amount of money just to replace it in a few years. Get the best and you don't have to upgrade!

I didn't even remember you saying that, but it makes complete sense. If I didn't say it in the last thread, though, I DO plan on taking this system with me to my own place after college. (From what I've heard, speakers definitely DO last a helluva long time.) I don't like spending any sizable amount of money just to replace it in a few years. Get the best and you don't have to upgrade!

Just make sure you make it to your own place without your upstairs neighbor killing you for having too loud of a stereo! Stranger things happen every day :D

And ah, cool. I don't think this many people who actually have experience with the apartment full-on sound system were in the last thread, unless my memory fails me.

I live on the 2nd floor with the same sub (good call btw). just use the knob on the back of the woofer to turn the volume down enough that you can hear it but not enough to rattle anything. Long story short...during the day you arent breaking any laws.

Somebody actually told me yesterday that in most areas "disturbing the peace" isn't effective with loud music until like 11 PM. :p

I'm pretty pumped. The receiver should be in in a few days.

It depends on city ordinance - I think C-bus is 10pm? Call the non-emergency line, they'll let you know.

Well, I'd feel like a dick if I was jamming that late in the night - but I'll probably call and ask just for reassurance.

What receiver did you end up getting?

Yamaha RX-V673BL. Some buddies of mine told me it was a really good one.

Link to it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+875W+7.2-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/4566061.p;jsessionid=B04C74E0B5EBE9BE25CF0F0FC0FD6DA8.bbolsp-app04-36?id=1218487070128&skuId=4566061&st=rx-v673bl&cp=1&lp=1

When they build those apartment complexes they usually put these metal strips in the adjoining walls, supposedly to help prevent sound carrying from one unit to the other. Imho, they do not work worth a damn. Best sound control is by turning the volume down although foam on the wall helps as does good insulation within the walls. Maybe try setting the speakers on some vibration absorbing material to help with the vibration.