Calling carb guru's

modular

Seems my GS500 calls for non-bleeding type pilot jets and I inadvertently installed bleeding type. Bike is running fat on the bottom and I am trying to work with the idle air screw to compensate for the richness. Is this going to work or do I need to get non-bleeding pilots and pop 'em in? Reason for all this is since the bikes come super lean from the factory for emission purposes it is a well documented upgrade to go up one size on the pilot and main jets, shim the jet needle with one washer and 3 turns out on the idle air screws. Bike runs great except for a very slight hesitation right off idle and the exhaust smells rich at idle as well.

I also thought that maybe installing a freer flowing air filter to lean it out a bit would work without having to take the carbs out and apart again. Yes/no??

You should use the jets that your carbs are made for. You can probably dial the chub out of the idle with your idle air screw but the pilot jet controls gas flow up to 1/5 throttle depending on the carb design. I wouldn't try to fix it with an ait filter, that's going to lean out your mixture across the board, just get the correct jets, they're only a couple.bucks.

From what I understand your carbs aren't going to benefit from the bleeding pilot jets. I think they are designed to atomize the fuel better. I would get the right pilots since you are basically trying to tune the idle with the needle jet and thats basically taking away from the pilot circuit.