Shady Dealership!

ChiefScooter

Just flat out wrong. Not sure it's 2.2 million wrong but definitely wrong.

Article states they should have charged him 39K instead of 34K. I'm no lawyer, but once you sell the vehicle, I can't imagine you can go back and ask for more money. Chalk that up a mistake you don't want to repeat. But $5K to nomal car dealership isn't going to sink them, but getting sued for being a douce will hurt them far more in sales. This was in VA.

Biggie

They probably told the staff responsible that they get the buyer to couch up the difference or THEY had to repay the money that was lost....

$5k on a $40k car could go either way - some might argue that it is clearly a mistake and some would say it's just a damn good deal...

Still, reporting the car stolen is bad - I wonder if they explained the exact circumstances to the police or if they just said it was "stolen"...

They probably told the staff responsible that they get the buyer to couch up the difference or THEY had to repay the money that was lost....

$5k on a $40k car could go either way - some might argue that it is clearly a mistake and some would say it's just a damn good deal...

Still, reporting the car stolen is bad - I wonder if they explained the exact circumstances to the police or if they just said it was "stolen"...

I see two issues with this: How, exactly, would you enforce a clawback of that type from your employee? Wouldn't that be a violation of labor laws if it wasn't a willful fraud perpetuated on the company by the employee?

Second, wouldn't reporting the car as stolen even though you have a valid sales contract fall under filing a false police report?

I see two issues with this: How, exactly, would you enforce a clawback of that type from your employee? Wouldn't that be a violation of labor laws if it wasn't a willful fraud perpetuated on the company by the employee?

Second, wouldn't reporting the car as stolen even though you have a valid sales contract fall under filing a false police report?

I'm not saying what they did was right - just wondering out loud how they would motivate the sales guys to spend weeks chasing him.

Yes, I would agree it was a false police report report, however a prosecution is unlikely unless the can prove the person filing the report did so knowing it was false - the filer could plead ignorance and say he "thought the circumstances amounted to theft but thank you Mr.Officer for clarifying the law for me, sorry to waste your time."

I have worked a couple of jobs running a cash register. If the register is short, *I* had to pay them back. (Although I never got to keep overages, huh...) I wonder if the manager threatened the same concept (rightly or wrongly - not many folks would argue anything the dealership did was "right!")