Aircraft missed approach just now?

ReconRat

Holy shit that was loud. It made me jump up and run outside. I live South of Port Columbus. I see a commercial passenger plane East bound, way on this side of the runway, off course, low to the ground, engines wide open and trying to climb!

SHIT!

edit 7:15pm Friday Oct 15

Edited by ReconRat

I eyeballed it at less than a mile North of me. It's two miles to the runway from here. Close to lining up on Broad Street. geez....

The engines were spooling up repeatedly. Not a steady engine thrust. Might have been one of those freak Airbus aborts. The flight/landing control does not like aborts and will try to land anyway.

I'm betting it was this one:

United 4581 from Newark - Fri 7:09 PM Cancelled Gate B31

Aborts often do not try again, and go to another runway somewhere else.

edit: nope, that one was cancelled in Providence RI and never got to Newark or Columbus...

Edited by ReconRat

Holy shit that was loud. It made me jump up and run outside. I live South of Port Columbus. I see a commercial passenger plane East bound, way on this side of the runway, off course, low to the ground, engines wide open and trying to climb!

SHIT!

edit 7:15pm Friday Oct 15

I work for one of the airlines at Port Columbus. I'm off today, but I didn't get any phone calls today....if we had one break I'm 99% positive I would have gotten a phone call.

I work for one of the airlines at Port Columbus. I'm off today, but I didn't get any phone calls today....if we had one break I'm 99% positive I would have gotten a phone call.

It got away ok, I could hear it. I can try and check on it next week, a couple of airport contacts. Sort of curious since it was way too low over residential housing. Low over DSCC also.

Living near CMH I see and hear all sorts of weird stuff sometimes.

I can imagine..

Yeah I bet, if you're working there. Ever been there when the place was shut down and people moved away so they can't see what is landing? hmmm?

I was landing there one day and they made us close all the left side windows so we couldn't see.....

Yeah I bet, if you're working there. Ever been there when the place was shut down and people moved away so they can't see what is landing? hmmm?

I was landing there one day and they made us close all the left side windows so we couldn't see.....

They've done that for Air Force One when the obamanation comes to town.

Went outside and measured the angle above the horizon. About 10 degrees. Yeah, it was behind the trees making it hard to see. That works out to be between 440ft and 880ft, figuring it was between a half mile and a mile away. My guess at the time was 600ft. The sounds I heard was the engines dropping back to idle repeatedly, after every attempt to get and maintain max thrust.