Verizon, AT&T and cell phone prices...

jester3681

Well, I had myself convinced I was switching to Verizon this fall when my contract is up because AT&T had a dead zone in Willard, where I travel frequently for work. Come to find out yesterday that the bastiches at AT&T must have added a tower in the area up there, because there is coverage there now.

I had picked out some phones for myself and my wife and was ready to roll with Verizon, but now this changes everything.

Has anyone had any success getting better prices from AT&T or Verizon than they have published? I called AT&T today and laid it on pretty thick and they simply wouldn't budge on price. I've been with them almost 13 years and it's like they won't even consider that.

We were looking at the HTC One X on AT&T, and the cheapest I've found it was at Walmart for upgrade - $80/each. But for new users it's free. If I wait until my contract expires, am I a new user?

Is Verizon any better about working with you on price? It looks like the plans are exactly the same price, so I'm basically looking at phone price and selection. If I were to go with Verizon, I'd get the Nexus for me - Target had them at $80, then just get my wife something free... AT&T doesn't offer free phones through the company, but all the other retailers do.

I also think it's ridiculous that you get better prices on phones at other retailers than you do from the provider. Seems silly to this guy...