Cell phones in 1989, only $799

chevysoldier

I have the bag version of that phone.. Ill see if I can have my dad/mom find it and bring it back around xmas time.. should be good for a laugh.

I had the bag phone too, took it out of the bag and velcro'd that bitch into a brief case. I was rollin with the briefcase phone like drug dealer :D

The bag phones had way better clarity than any phone today.

That's cause they were pumping out 10 times (maybe more) the wattage of anything today.

My moms a nurse, she still has a pager !!

I think I have two in a box somewhere in my close lol.

Edited by SWing'R

Oh, and the new iPhone 5 64Gb is $800 (no contract) so I guess not much has changed...

why? Just get a 2 year. Just my opinion.:nono: Buy at phone a retail price makes you an idiot IMO, especially when you need a plan to follow. New every 2 for me thank you. :nono:

Edited by NinjaNick

When handheld cellular phones first came out they would transmit in clear analog.

You could use a handheld scanner to listen in - but only to one side of the conversation.

You can still use a scanner to listen to them if you get a frequency doubler.

You need a doubler because the 800mhz band that they operate in is blocked but

if you use a doubler to listen to the unblocked 400 band doubled you can hear them.

At least it worked like that a few years back, haven't had my scanner out in years.

I think they are on different bands nowadays.

Following a conversation was hard though if the person was moving because the cell

tower would switch channels as the person moved and you'd lose the conversation.

why? Just get a 2 year and stfu. Just my opinion.:nono: Buy at phone a retail price makes you an idiot IMO, especially when you need a plan to follow. New every 2 for me thank you. :nono:

Chill. I wasn't advocating paying retail - just pointing out that the retail cost is about the same on both.

If you lose/damage your phone you must pay retail to replace it.

You can still use a scanner to listen to them if you get a frequency doubler.

You need a doubler because the 800mhz band that they operate in is blocked but

if you use a doubler to listen to the unblocked 400 band doubled you can hear them.

At least it worked like that a few years back' date=' haven't had my scanner out in years.

I think they are on different bands nowadays.

Following a conversation was hard though if the person was moving because the cell

tower would switch channels as the person moved and you'd lose the conversation.[/quote']

My scanner can listen to 800Mhz but all I get is trunked police radio and old cordless phones.

Cellphones are digital now. Can you get digital scanners?

My scanner can listen to 800Mhz but all I get is trunked police radio and old cordless phones.

Cellphones are digital now. Can you get digital scanners?

The blocks of the 800 band that cells phones use(d) are blocked, you can't tune them in for privacy issues,

however, the 400 band is wide open, hence the invention of the frequency doubler :)

The doubler allows you to listen to the complete 800 band without restrictions. It's a little device that runs

on a 9v battery and plugs inline with the antenna, turn it on and it doubles the frequency you are tuned into.

Edited by SWing'R

Seriously considering buying a Nexus outright and then being able to say - F*CK YOU to the company if they tick me off...

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy SII I just bought from Walmart online.

$299 with a $30 Tmobile card included so total cost was $330 plus tax/shipping.

Didn't need the tmobile card so I resold that to someone for $15.