looking for reviews/recommendations on a shop forced air heater

LongDogRacing

fellows,

i'm looking to get a large forced air heater, maybe something like this: http://www.heater-store.com/portable_kerosene_forced_air_heater_heatstar_hs175kt_2880_prd1.htm

my garage is a 30x40 shop and i want to be able to work on the bikes and trailer over the winter without freezing myself!

any recommendations on kerosene v. propane? other brands, etc.

thank you!

--justin

The torpedo style heater like the one shown will heat a very specific area - wherever it is pointing. If you want to heat a workspace, consider one that radiates heat in all directions - one of the old style kerosene ones, or a ceiling mounted heater.

The torpedo style heater like the one shown will heat a very specific area - wherever it is pointing. If you want to heat a workspace, consider one that radiates heat in all directions - one of the old style kerosene ones, or a ceiling mounted heater.

It could be because the garage I heat is only a little bigger than an average 2 car, but I would have to disagree about the torpedo heater. Technically you are right, that the heat is directed in one way but in practice it ends up heating everything as long as there is no open doors and the BTU's are high enough.

My procedure was to go into the garage with a coat and fire up the torpedo heater pointed towards the bikes (obviously not too close). While I was arranging them how I wanted to work and getting my tools out and ready, the local area would be hot enough to take off my jacket and move the direction of the heater slightly away from me. Eventually I would have to either turn on the vent fan or turn off the heater because the entire garage would get too hot (no temp control, only a timer). I remember coming inside a couple times to get a drink or something and indoors was colder!