10 y.o. boy tazed for not washing a cop car?

magley64

thats just what they want, for all of us to just shut up and do what we are told...

you can taze me bro, i am not washing your f...ing car

He didn't have to actually wash the car, I doubt the officer was serious. The kid just had to not have a big mouth and talk back.

No. Pull trigger - fire darts and shock for 5 seconds.

My tazer C2 shocks for 30 seconds but can be cancelled early, not sure if the M26/X26 can.

Yes you can stop it once discharged.

So the initial firing triggers an automatic shock' date=' did not know that.

I see that you can initiate additional shocks afterwards, figured the first

one had to be initiated too. good to know.[/quote']

These things have a history or going off by their selves. We have had a couple go off while in the holsters.

Yes you can stop it once discharged.

These things have a history or going off by their selves. We have had a couple go off while in the holsters.

Did the taser go through a full shock cycle? Or just fire the darts? I could believe static firing the darts.

That's the next question. Ok so the kid got tazed - and if it was my kid I'd be out for blood. But removing emotion from the case for a minute:

WE know the cop was a knobhead for putting himself in a position to taze the kid. But what recoverable damage did the kid suffer? PTSD? Really? Waking up at night clutching his chest? I start to wonder if the parents saw dollar-signs in their eyes and start making crap up to get a settlement. (The same parents that will complain that their taxes are too high to pay for the police dept, without figuring out that the police spend too much money on liability insurance because people like them tell a made-up sob story when they think their ship has come in)

I'd like to see an independent assessment of the kid's "injuries". How many people get tazed? Voluntarily and involuntarily. How many of those get PTSD? How many tens of thousands of cops have been tazed as part of training?? How many of those quit the force with PTSD after that?

I call bullshit on the extent of the kid's injuries. Yeah, sucked to be him, but this whole thing seems like this is their meal ticket so they're they're making crap up.

I'd like to see an independent assessment of the kid's "injuries". How many people get tazed? Voluntarily and involuntarily. How many of those get PTSD? How many tens of thousands of cops have been tazed as part of training?? How many of those quit the force with PTSD after that?

I call bullshit on the extent of the kid's injuries. Yeah, sucked to be him, but this whole thing seems like this is their meal ticket so they're they're making crap up.

wait... wut?

It's not possible that a 10 year old was traumatized by the actions of that police officer, because healthy adult men get tazed on occasion, and they come out fine usually? Is that really the assertion you're making?

:nono:

That's the next question. Ok so the kid got tazed - and if it was my kid I'd be out for blood. But removing emotion from the case for a minute:

WE know the cop was a knobhead for putting himself in a position to taze the kid. But what recoverable damage did the kid suffer? PTSD? Really? Waking up at night clutching his chest? I start to wonder if the parents saw dollar-signs in their eyes and start making crap up to get a settlement. (The same parents that will complain that their taxes are too high to pay for the police dept, without figuring out that the police spend too much money on liability insurance because people like them tell a made-up sob story when they think their ship has come in)

Again, taking emotion out of it, their ship did come in. A on-duty police officer illegally discharged a weapon at a person that was posing no threat, and was not doing anything illegal in the slightest. That right there is a slam-dunk civil lawsuit. It's entirely plausible, I'd even say likely, that this kid's got nightmares over it, he was SHOT WITH A GUN(like device, I don't expect a 10-year-old to draw a distinction between a tazer and a gun) BY A COP.

He should be face felony criminal charges. I don't necessarily believe he should see jail time, however with a felony on his record we can be assured that not only will he never be a cop again, but he won't be able to get a CHL either.

wait... wut?

It's not possible that a 10 year old was traumatized by the actions of that police officer, because healthy adult men get tazed on occasion, and they come out fine usually? Is that really the assertion you're making?

:nono:

I'm raising the possibility that they are milking it. Can you prove to me that his injuries are exactly as stated?

Again, taking emotion out of it, their ship did come in. A on-duty police officer illegally discharged a weapon at a person that was posing no threat, and was not doing anything illegal in the slightest. That right there is a slam-dunk civil lawsuit. It's entirely plausible, I'd even say likely, that this kid's got nightmares over it, he was SHOT WITH A GUN(like device, I don't expect a 10-year-old to draw a distinction between a tazer and a gun) BY A COP.

He should be face felony criminal charges. I don't necessarily believe he should see jail time, however with a felony on his record we can be assured that not only will he never be a cop again, but he won't be able to get a CHL either.

Whatever happens to the cop is independent of the lawsuit. He should be fired.

I'm sure it will be a slamdunk lawsuit - but it's like "whiplash" lawsuits - there is no was to accurately account for the injuries - we only have their word on the extent of the impact on the child. So how many millions of dollars do we give the parents for this?

Read the wording; "He has woken up clutching his chest" How many times? Is this a regular thing or did it happen once? What is the dollar figure per bad dream? When you sue the police the money come from everyone in the city, the tax base - the people cutting that check (or the people funding the liability insurance payments) did nothing wrong.

You wanna stop this kind of crap? Any time an officer acts outside of his training you sue HIM, not the city.

Whatever happens to the cop is independent of the lawsuit. He should be fired.

I'm sure it will be a slamdunk lawsuit - but it's like "whiplash" lawsuits - there is no was to accurately account for the injuries - we only have their word on the extent of the impact on the child. So how many millions of dollars do we give the parents for this?

Read the wording; "He has woken up clutching his chest" How many times? Is this a regular thing or did it happen once? What is the dollar figure per bad dream? When you sue the police the money come from everyone in the city, the tax base - the people cutting that check (or the people funding the liability insurance payments) did nothing wrong.

You wanna stop this kind of crap? Any time an officer acts outside of his training you sue HIM, not the city.

And I'm all for that. In fact, I can't think of a single reason why qualified immunity would apply in this case since the act was so completely unjustified so I would believe that's an option. However, as I'm sure you're aware, in civil cases you usually sue the culpable party that's got the most money in addition to the culpable party that actually fucked up. In this case, I'm in favor of adding the PD on there, since they were culpable in hiring this idiot to begin with. I'm aware of the taxpayers being on the hook, they have the ability to sort it out themselves at the ballot box by voting out anyone who was even tangentially related to this.

In this case, I'm in favor of adding the PD on there, since they were culpable in hiring this idiot to begin with.

Just because the PD has deep pockets (well, the taxpayer, that is) doesn't mean they deserve to be defendants on this lawsuit. Considering the officer's behavior was so egregiously outside any training he would have ever received, I woudl argue that the PD is not liable unless plaintiffs can *prove* the PD *knew* he was prone this kind of behavior. Vicarious liability of employers does not extend to criminal acts that occur outside the scope of the person's duties. If a cop rapes someone in uniform the PD is not responsible unless they knew, for example, that he had displayed violent sexual behavior patterns in the past.

They are suing the PD for negligent hiring/supervision. Show me the negligence! If he has prior complaints if acting the fool with his duty weapons then sure, the PD has likely shown supervison failures. If this guy has no complaint history and has been a model police officer up until that point the what did the PD do wrong?

I won't say that psychological effects are not possible. Getting shot by a LEO could definitely cause issues for the kid.

I agree that the lack of a criminal lawsuit with the existence of a civil lawsuit screams money driven.

Also it seems like little bullshit is causing people to claim PTSD now. I say man the fuck up and deal, with obvious exceptions (Like being tazed at 10 years old).