Anyone have a Smart car?

conn-e-rot

I guess that's where you and I differ

Hell i didnt spend much more than that for my own 2 cars, must be nice to have a bottomless income. Never had a car handed to me ive worked my butt off for everything i have ever owned, and my kids will learn that same lesson.

Hell i didnt spend much more than that for my own 2 cars, must be nice to have a bottomless income. Never had a car handed to me ive worked my butt off for everything i have ever owned, and my kids will learn that same lesson.

Never mentioned giving, handing, or how it was being paid for... Way to jump to conclusions dude

Well' date=' if it's really engineered by zee Germanz.. then contemplate the absolute most counter-productive way possible to build something... and then you'll have your answer on maintenance nightmares.[/quote']

I don't know were just starting to look and that was the first car she mentioned but I don't want something that is going to cost a fortune in maintenance.

If a father can provide more for his children than another' date=' is that father any more/less of a father than the other? Don't be so 99%. It's gross.

[/quote']

i am talking like a 1%er, more should be, nothing to do with good or bad father, all about what they learn in the end

despite whatever pics you find it actually has very high crash test ratings probably higher than most other small cars

Ya, they do have the highest safety rating in cars similar to their size, BUT they still arnt as safe as some of the mid size cars that arnt the top in their class. I just don't trust them in an accident, what about a bug maybe? Those are cute girl cars :dunno:

Wow, $10k for a first car? My first car was $4000 back in '06 and was 8 years old. Hell, my second car was only $6000. Didnt have a new car until I had a steady job and bought it myself.

Edited by JStump

Her first car? Old Buick $600.

Safe? Sure

Green? Only GM green

But she can make all of her new driver mistakes and not be out anything.

Sounds like my 1987 Buick Park Ave that I 'inherited' when I started driving. Except mine was maroon, and Concert Sound II is STILL a kickass OE stereo.

But, c'mon conn-e-rot... you had to know that starting this thread would inevitably mean you would not only be "educated" on Smart cars, but also how you should and shouldn't provide for your daughter, how you should or shouldn't spend your money, and what all the other posters would do differently without stepping foot in your shoes...

I'm guessing this'll turn into a "No, I had the sh*ttiest first car" game of oneupsmanship to see who had it the roughest growing up and why they're better than the ones who didn't. Race to the bottom.

#ThisIsORDN

Edited by JRMMiii

Well' date=' if it's really engineered by zee Germanz.. then contemplate the absolute most counter-productive way possible to build something... and then you'll have your answer on maintenance nightmares.[/quote']

10diptv.jpg

zee Germanz? Better the Boris the sneaky fucking Russian and his Lada's.

As far as Smart cars go, I have nothing to add other than if you're dead-set on Smart's (and it seems that you are), the least you can do is get yourself something out of this deal. Maybe something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c

It just seems like a lot of money to give a 16 year old who is more than likely going to crash into a dozen things the first month driving and probably go off road in it at least once in the first year. Its not that the kid shouldn't have a nice car, it just seems like a waste for you and they should earn the right to have a nice car.

My first car was $1000. I bought it myself. My second car' date=' bought a month after my first car, was over $10k. My father financed it and I paid for it.

I don't see what the big deal is, guys.[/quote']

Kind of the same boat here, after driving around my mom's stationwagon for 6 months my first car was a $3500 that i saved up 1/2 the money for almost 2years previous mowing yards, shoveling barns and snow, ect. and my old man help me finance the rest. After driving it for a year i traded it in for a brand new ranger which was about $12k in 1994, and traded in the clunker and the old man helped finaced the rest. My parents have never shelled out a dime for any of my cars or insurance or gas. At first the OP sounded like it was a hand out but if not thats great and sorry if i drew conclusions

Edited by 2talltim

I don't know were just starting to look and that was the first car she mentioned but I don't want something that is going to cost a fortune in maintenance.

Have you looked at Edmunds.com? They have a cost of ownership function - if you find a car you like, you can see what maintenance costs. I can tell you the Smart is pretty expensive - it's essentially a Mercedes. Every part for it is imported - they are not supported well here in the states.

Shit my first car was a 1973 mercury monarch I paid $150 it lasted one day then I bought a 1981 chevy citation for $50 lasted about 6 months then I bought a 1981 mazda glc for $200 drove for about a year then I bought a 1979 mustang for $250 drove it 1 1/2 yrs and sold it for $500 bought a 1984 dodge daytona turbo z for $1800... so I might just win the I had the shittiest first car

Have you looked at Edmunds.com? They have a cost of ownership function - if you find a car you like, you can see what maintenance costs. I can tell you the Smart is pretty expensive - it's essentially a Mercedes. Every part for it is imported - they are not supported well here in the states.

No I have not I never knew about that feature.... thanks

Shit my first car was a 1973 mercury monarch I paid $150 it lasted one day then I bought a 1981 chevy citation for $50 lasted about 6 months then I bought a 1981 mazda glc for $200 drove for about a year then I bought a 1979 mustang for $250 drove it 1 1/2 yrs and sold it for $500 bought a 1984 dodge daytona turbo z for $1800... so I might just win the I had the shittiest first car

sorry to hi jack this thread but it's been a trip down memory lane, lot of memories in those first few cars

Where do they get the numbers from ?

I have a 2009 yaris and that car never needs a damn thing change oil, tires and gas

I think they use the manufacturers recommended maintenance and assume 12-15k miles a year, plus look at things like tires, maybe petrol?

Not to play Devil's advocate, but after a career in automotive service, your Yaris may "need" more than oil changes, you just aren't doing it. Don't get me wrong, most modern cars will run 100k miles or more with nothing but oil changes, but they recommend a heck of a lot more in the book. :D

I think I've had about 40 or so cars over the 23yrs I've been driving only ones that were given to me were a 1967 buick skylark special 2dr never did drive it and a 1948 GMC that was 7/8 restored and my parents garage caught fire and the truck was in it never finished it I lost interest in it and sold it

I think they use the manufacturers recommended maintenance and assume 12-15k miles a year, plus look at things like tires, maybe petrol?

Not to play Devil's advocate, but after a career in automotive service, your Yaris may "need" more than oil changes, you just aren't doing it. Don't get me wrong, most modern cars will run 100k miles or more with nothing but oil changes, but they recommend a heck of a lot more in the book. :D

OK that makes sense then