Anyone have a Smart car?

conn-e-rot

What can anyone tell me about the nissan versa and sentra?

Worked at Nissan during the years that you're looking at - Versas and Sentras are both decent cars, great cars for the money actually. Little to no problems with either - most problems I did see were with the front end - steering column (on the electric versions) and strut bushings. Noises, not safety stuff.

The Cube is good too. The blind spot is actually on both sides and depending on driver height and seat position it can be not an issue or a real danger. They do have extra large side mirrors to help though. And they are CAVERNOUS inside.

If I had the choice between the three as a rational decision, I'd get the Sentra - best mileage of the three and a better all around car. I like the looks of the Versa hatch better, but they cost a premium over the sedan. Any specific questions, PM me. Or hell, ask me here. No worries.

I've purchased three new vehicles since I stopped working at a Jeep dealership in 2002.

I've found that being informed and knowledgeable about ever aspect of the purchasing process has eliminated all of the stress most people encounter.

I let the dealership people know up front, and in a polite way...boom, no games.

Easy peasy.

I rented a Nissan Versa in Texas for a week earlier this year. It's not a drivers car. Although very roomy inside. It also has a CVT trans that upshifts a just a little too late. The good thing is that I drove with my foot planted on the go pedal everywhere I went and still got 31.5 MPG all week long. I also drove a dodge caliber from Corpus Christi to San Antonio. Not a bad car. Might look into those too.

I also drove a dodge caliber from Corpus Christi to San Antonio. Not a bad car. Might look into those too.

the caliber/avenger platform was one of the worst cars I've ever driven...

got it as a rental car and what a sad excuse for an engine...:nono:

the '98-2010 style were supposedly riddled with reliability issues.

2011-13 style is supposed to be a lot better.

This - like I said in the PM, VW/Audi had some pretty major electrical issues during those years - not quite as bad as the late 90s (dash fires), but they had a ton of gremlins - expensive ones... If you get one, get a newer one, and if you get a newer one, you can afford a better car. Sorry to the VW faithful, but they'e had problems since they started running coolant through the engines in the 70s... :D

Anyone know anything about the beetle? I've heard VW repairs can be pricey

Smart Car, Beetle....are these choices being made by the cuteness of said vehicle? I'm surprised a Miata hasn't entered the conversation - at least it's a solid driver underneath the gay facade.

The Beetle was an unreliable turd, and the parts are insanely expensive.