Need a ballpark price on repair auto repair.

Anden

After some digging on the net I have found this job to big for me. As I need a lift. Any way need an ballpark on diff seal replacement on a dodge magnum.

Thanks in advance.

Trade it in. As a Chrysler product, if one thing is leaking, ten more are about to. Seriously though, seal replacement can be all over the place - $100 for an easy one, $1000 or more for a bad one. And is it the seal that's leaking?

I assume you are talking about a axle seal? Seems to be a common problem for these vehicles. It also seems you only get about 30k from a seal. Shitty. Still under warranty?

Yes, you have to drop your rear suspension. It can be done without a lift, but it would be annoying at times. You'd need a bunch of jack stands to support things too. But if you're willing to sacrifice a day of work and have good mechanical knowledge and tools you could get it done.

Good how to:

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=118676

Vehicle will have to be aligned once reassembled.

If you are paying for it, I'd expect labor rates to be in the 2-4 hour range. Parts and diff fluid shouldn't be too expensive. Don't use crappy seals. Maybe $400-$600 with the alignment.

R&R of a wheel seal requires pulling the particular axle. That usually requires opening the rear end to release the axle end. The leak here shows itself in the drum.

R&R the front seal behind the yoke usually requires removal of the guts in the rear end which is more work and more $$$. The leak here shows itself all over under the vehicle.

I assume you are talking about a axle seal? Seems to be a common problem for these vehicles. It also seems you only get about 30k from a seal. Shitty. Still under warranty?

Yes, you have to drop your rear suspension. It can be done without a lift, but it would be annoying at times. You'd need a bunch of jack stands to support things too. But if you're willing to sacrifice a day of work and have good mechanical knowledge and tools you could get it done.

Good how to:

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=118676

Vehicle will have to be aligned once reassembled.

If you are paying for it, I'd expect labor rates to be in the 2-4 hour range. Parts and diff fluid shouldn't be too expensive. Don't use crappy seals. Maybe $400-$600 with the alignment.

That's what I saw. 4-600 isn't hatefull. But the rear end shutters intermittently at the moment so I parked it going to take it tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

But the rear end shutters intermittently at the moment so I parked it going to take it tomorrow.

I would be surprised if this has anything to do with your leak. And unless you can duplicate it under very specific conditions (example - it does it if you take a right hand sweeping turn at high speed, or when you accelerate and hit a bump with the left corner) you will spend a fortune to hunt down what may or may not be a problem. Intermittent problems are almost impossible to track down if you can't MAKE them happen.

A leaky seal probably didn't grenade your rear end unless it's empty.

Depending on what differential is in it make sure you/they use the correct friction modifier. Some call for Chrysler dealer stuff. The label on the stuff they sell at the parts store even says not to use on so and so Chrysler differentials.

For a half shaft I found this-

1h8hlz.jpg.Lower axle just enough to remove both halfshafts one at a time. Shift axle assembly in one direction, compressing one halfshaft while removing the other (1). Use caution to protect axle seal and journal when removing axles. 18.Remove axle assembly from vehicle and transfer to bench.

1h8hlz.jpgRemove halfshaft(s).2.Using suitable screwdriver (1), remove axle shaft seal (2).3.Visually inspect halfshaft seal journal for damage (excessive seal groove, nicks, scratches, etc.). Replace halfshaft if necessary.

Looks like you are correct about a half shaft setup Isaac. :)